× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need support or guidance with my extenders inside my home

Pizorro
Tutor

Need support or guidance with my extenders inside my home

I have as main router RAX 80 installed in my home in the second floor, where fiber is located.

I have TWO extenders: 1) EX6150v2  and 2) EX7300v2

The problems is that when i check the network map both of them are linked to the main router (RAX80).

What I want to do, is connect only EX6150v2 to the main router and then give signal from my first extender EX6150v2 to my second extender EX7300v2.

Signal from second extender to the main router is very poor.

How to connect ??? how to do?

Here is my network map attached for reference.

Also:

Should both of my extenders be: as extender or access point?

or should the last one of the extenders be different?

Thanks in advance for your comments

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Need support or guidance with my extenders inside my home

How slow are you ok with your extenders being? 

Reason why is standard extenders (single and dual band) drop throughput 50% of what they're receiving. They have to send/recieve between router---extender and then extender---device. And can't do both at once. So 1 extender drops throughput 50%. If you add another extender in line (daisy chain) that 2nd device will run at 25%. 

And again, thats based off what speed they're getting. So if their distance causes speeds to drop, its 50% of whatever that speed is. 

The triband extenders and mesh solutions (orbi) reserve a 5ghz chip just for router---extender communication so they don't take the same speed hit. 

You can daisy chain them if you want, I'm just warning you it could be slow. 

Simply name one of the extenders with a different ssid so you can manually set it up. So 
router-----extender (unique ssid)-----extender

Also, extender mode and AP (access point) mode are 2 different things. 

Extender mode: operates off wireless. It rebroadcasts the wireless signals. 

Access point mode: your device is hardwired in. best speeds because it doesn't have the 50% slowdown but it needs to be hardwired in. 

Message 2 of 5
ManuLam
Aspirant

Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance if you can help me.

My EX6150v2 was connected to a FON HotSpot to extend the 2.4Ghz Signal to other place in the home. The Fon Hotspot is died after several years of good service.

I 've replace the Fon HotSpot with EX7000 netgear Wifi Range Extender, connected to my Router Internet BOX with a ethernet cable (before reaching the router internet Box, the EX7000 is connected to a port of a Netgear Switch)

When EX7000 is the only Extender, it works good.

But signal must be extended to other place in the home, and EX7000 is too short.

I think to connect my EX6150v2 to my EX7000 (to extend signal from EX7000).

I don't knwow if it's possible.

But i see here that it could probably be "daisy chaining".

My EX6150v2 seem's to not connect to EX7000.

I've tested the "fastlaan" but don't work.

If possible to daisy chain, how can i do this ?

Thanks for your help

ManuLam

Model: EX6150v2|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender, EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

devices can roam between router/ap but for truly seamless roaming you need 802.11k/r/v  or they tend to be sticky. 

I haven't seen any offical statements from netgear if the mesh extenders are able to use these roaming standards in AP mode. 

And I've asked a mod or 2 but haven't seen any responses back. 

@DexterJB 

it'd be nice if they did because then you could basically skip a full orbi setup and use the mesh extenders in AP mode. 

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

disregard last post. was meaning to post on another post and clicked reply on wrong one. 

Your trying to go: 

current router---->ex7000-----> ex6150v2

are you using the ex7000 and ex6150v2 in mesh mode? 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7