× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetGear Extender EX7000 very slow download speed 40x slowdown

mihailosundic
Aspirant

NetGear Extender EX7000 very slow download speed 40x slowdown

Hello, I would like to ask if anyone had an issue with extender and if you know how to fix it.

I have a speed issue with my EX7000 range extender.
Main router has speeds D/L = 52 Mbit DL and 8.38 Mbit upload

NetGear EX7000 DL speed is only 1.7 Mbps!!! Upload is almost the same as main router ~8.2 Mbps.

So comparing download from 52 Mbps DL to 1.7 Mbps it's almost 30x lower speed.

I am just setting it up out of the box, that means I'm right next to my main router, like 50cm from it,

also tried to set up FastLane from 2.4 to 5 Ghz but only got 1.95 Mbps!

I really tried everything that crossed my mind, I was switching through a lot of different channels,
did an update to FW so I also have the latest firmware V1.0.1.84_1.0.148

It is impossible that it's such a limitation, there must be something wrong with the extender.
I would expect it to be like 20 or even 10 Mbps, but 1.7 Mbps is practically unusable.

I just borrowed a cheap other extender worth 20$ from my neighbour and got great results,
it's impossible that I get 1.7 Mbps DL in the same room from the device that costs 130$.

I attached the picture

Please help!

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mihailosundic
Aspirant

Re: NetGear Extender EX7000 very slow download speed 40x slowdown

I actually had bought it with older firmware and when it was not performing well I updated it to the latest, I don't think that two firmwares are bad for the device, than it's negligence and mostly anyone would complain for EX7000 to be not operational.

Actually I managed to get it working, in a way... but only on one channel, I actually put it in fast lane but the opposite of what I've been doing, it works in 5 Ghz mode from Main Router to EX, and in 2.4 Ghz from EX to other devices.

It isn't quite what I wanted because I wanted 2.4 between my MR and EX where I would have 3 walls and 30ft between, and
5 Ghz between EX and clients since these are in the same room and room next to it (1 wall). I guess I'll have to settle with this setup.

Now it shows speeds of 16 Mbps DL (out of 52 Mbps on my MR) and 8 Mbps upload (same as MR speed). It's still in the same
room as the MR, so I guess a little slowdown when I move it to the other room, but I guess it's much better than 1.7 Mbps.

Still not quite what I expected but let's say it is usable now, not really in value of 130$ IMHO, but what can I do now,
I don't really see how to make it work right at the moment.

Maybe someone would find this helpful too, it's a lot of trial and error, I'm not here to spit on the product, I bought it because
I think it's the best in class but some pieces seem to have bugs or compatibility issues in work with non NetGeat routers.

Will come back to leave my thoughts after I use it for a few weeks to see how consistent it is.
Thanks,
Mihailo

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Here's the steps I'd take.

1. Factory reset and re-install using the smart connection wizard.

2. Try re-installing the firmware. Potentially the firmware could have been corrupt. A reset only removes settings, a re-install overwrites the firmware. So re-install it, factory reset it, and re-install it. 

You also can potentially downgrade the firmware a version. Maybe your device has a bug with your firmware. 

I'd also move it a little further away. in the same room but 6-10ft away. 

Message 2 of 3
mihailosundic
Aspirant

I actually had bought it with older firmware and when it was not performing well I updated it to the latest, I don't think that two firmwares are bad for the device, than it's negligence and mostly anyone would complain for EX7000 to be not operational.

Actually I managed to get it working, in a way... but only on one channel, I actually put it in fast lane but the opposite of what I've been doing, it works in 5 Ghz mode from Main Router to EX, and in 2.4 Ghz from EX to other devices.

It isn't quite what I wanted because I wanted 2.4 between my MR and EX where I would have 3 walls and 30ft between, and
5 Ghz between EX and clients since these are in the same room and room next to it (1 wall). I guess I'll have to settle with this setup.

Now it shows speeds of 16 Mbps DL (out of 52 Mbps on my MR) and 8 Mbps upload (same as MR speed). It's still in the same
room as the MR, so I guess a little slowdown when I move it to the other room, but I guess it's much better than 1.7 Mbps.

Still not quite what I expected but let's say it is usable now, not really in value of 130$ IMHO, but what can I do now,
I don't really see how to make it work right at the moment.

Maybe someone would find this helpful too, it's a lot of trial and error, I'm not here to spit on the product, I bought it because
I think it's the best in class but some pieces seem to have bugs or compatibility issues in work with non NetGeat routers.

Will come back to leave my thoughts after I use it for a few weeks to see how consistent it is.
Thanks,
Mihailo

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7