× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetGear WiFi Range Extender

josukie
Aspirant

NetGear WiFi Range Extender

I recently required netgear tech support  regarding fixing and resetting a new wifi password.  I was transferred to India and was helped but during support call I was told my fire wall was not working and they could clean and put a new firewall in when my receipt came to my email address it was to a co called SmartFares and cannot speak to anyone at netgear verifying this is a valid netgear affiliate.  I previously paid a 3rd party company for a product support and I believe they created the problem I needed to contact netgear about.  How can I reach someone at netgear to verify this?

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: NetGear WiFi Range Extender

I don't think you reached Netgear support, it looks like you contacted someone else.  Did you use my.netgear.com?

Hopefully a Netgear mod (perhaps @DexterJB ) will follow up.

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@josukie wrote:

... I was transferred to India and was helped but during support call I was told my fire wall was not working and they could clean and put a new firewall in when my receipt came to my email address ...

Reads like a typical support Scam - your computer firewall config was changed, some backdoors were installed, and it's just a question of time until your computer will be abused for criminal purposes. Stronlgy suggest to start to check and clean your computer(s) for malware et all ASAP.

Message 3 of 7
josukie
Aspirant

but i contacted support thru netgear.com, how are you suppose to know if it is REALLY netgear?

Message 4 of 7
josukie
Aspirant

I contacted netgear support, how would it go to scam unless someone thru netgear transfers to scam and how do i speak to someone at netgear?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@josukie wrote:

but i contacted support thru netgear.com,

You didn't say that in your first post.  Did you use the gearhead support, or something else?

Message 6 of 7
josukie
Aspirant

you have phone options, I chose technical support.  The 1st level was unable to correct problem and told me I was being transferred to higher level of support.  I have since tried to reach someone to verify if they were valid 3rd party, no one knows but they did create a ticket, but so far no one has responded.  I also reviewed thru Amazon regarding my issue and so far no response from there

Model: EX3700|N600 WiFi Range Extender
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series