× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netear Extender Tech Scam

GDG1956
Follower

Netear Extender Tech Scam

BEWARE! Bought the Netgear Extender and went to the manual webpage after having issues setting this up. The CSR transfers me to another tech to assist. The tech then remotes into my computer and tells me he sees other third party issues on my computer and he can monitor and give us firewall to eliminate and protect for Lifetime Coverage $300. We asked questions and he convinced us that as its NetGear and thru Netgear webpage secure. Would only take Paypal which was strange but yes we sent the money. Received a janky email from WEB-DEV which was strange and a sparse email with a License. No other information as to where NetGear Web Protection was on my system. Its a scam. You think your with NetGear but you are not.
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Netear Extender Tech Scam

If you googled for support, more than likely you did get a scam site. There's a ton of them out there. For netgear/linksys/tplink/etc. 

Sadly, Netgear can't police the internet. They do they're best to get the ones using their name to take them down but new ones pop up constantly. 

So your options? 

1. Start a chargeback for that and dispute it on your paypal.

2. remove whatever they installed on your computer/have you computer scanned or just reinstall windows to it if you want to.

3. Contact actual netgear support for help setting up your product. Or use this site for help. Setting up an extender is pretty simple and shouldn't be that bad. We're willing to help. 

To get a hold of actual support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top of this page.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

If your device was new, there's no charge for them to help setting it up. Thats how you know you got a scam site. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7