× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear AC1200 will not stay connected to AT&T Fiber (BWG-320

MaxKaladin
Tutor

Netgear AC1200 will not stay connected to AT&T Fiber (BWG-320

I have an AC1200 EXT6120 Wifi extender that I bought after I had AT&T fiber installed.  One of the installers I had actually recommended this model and said he has one and it "works great".  

I initially set it up with the WPA button and everything appeared to work great but it keeps losing connection somehow.  The main thing I use it for is an AppleTV in my bedroom and as soon as everything starts clocking I know to check the wifi and, sure enough, it's back to connecting to the main BWG-320 signal.  If I try to switch back, I can see the extended networks but connecting says no network available and nothing works to get network back until I power cycle the extender.  Then it works a while and eventually loses connection again.  Typically within a few hours from what I can tell.  

I've tried going into the extender setup and connecting again but it just tells me it can't connect even though I've verified the credentials are correct.  I've tried moving the extender and that hasn't seemed to help.  Both locations seem to have "fair" signal according to AT&T's app.  I kind of doubt that the signal strength is the problem given that it will never connect if I log in and try to connect but will immediately connect just fine when power cycled.  

I have a sneaking suspicion that I need to set something up on the BWG-320 from AT&T.  I suspect that maybe AT&T is trying to "protect" me somehow but I really can't figure out what I would need to do.  Maybe I need to get another router and put the AT&T one into passthrough or something and then extend off that.  I've also wondered if ethernet over power line would work since I really only have the one device that needs this signal.  

The complication is that any solution that requires me to go moving stuff around or much physical activity at all is a no go right now,  I injured me knee last weekend and I can barely get around to take care of basic needs.  Going and dong a bunch of physical stuff trying to somehow finagle a better signal is not an option right now,  

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear AC1200 will not stay connected to AT&T Fiber (BWG-320

You set it up using wpa push button?
If so, factory reset the extender  and set it up using the installation assistant.
To factory reset, push and hold the reset button for 7-15 seconds while powered on. 
Here's a video of how to use the assistant. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVklshxBMk

Also, make sure to set the extender with a separate ssid from the primary router and go into your apple tv and 'forget" the old network 

Message 2 of 6
MaxKaladin
Tutor

This seems to have worked.  I'm going to give it more time before I feel confident it's not going to happen again but it looks promising so far.  

Thank you.

Message 3 of 6
MaxKaladin
Tutor

Aaaannnndd a few hours after I posted that, it broke again in exactly the same way it did before...

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Have you went into the att router and set the extender with a static ip address after its setup?

Could be the att device renewing its lease and having issues with that

Message 5 of 6
MaxKaladin
Tutor

I had done that before resetting and it still had the same IP after.  I've just assigned it to another ip and we'll see if that helps.  

I can't get to the console for the extender for whatever reason.  That never works anymore.  So I can't use the remote reset I found there.  I'll need to hobble over and unplug it to trigger a reset.   

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7