× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear AC1200

tae111
Aspirant

Netgear AC1200

Is there a way to set this up using the exact same network as my router? That is using the same network name as the router uses. Verizon has disabled the WPS function on my router so I must set this up for each device I wish to connect using the new network name selected in the setup process. That does work but let's say I move my tablet to an area that my router covers stronger. The tablet is still using the WIFI signal of the extender. I can use the routers WIFI but I must go into settings and physically change the network back to the routers network name. What I am looking for, and I don't know if it's possible, is a way to move around my house and capture the strongest signal available automatically. 

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear AC1200

The EX6120 isn't a mesh extender. 

You can set it with the same ssid as the router but devices won't roam the same as a mesh extender does because its lacking the roaming protocol 

Message 2 of 5
tae111
Aspirant

Thanks. I guess I didn't really know what I was doing when I was shopping for a network extender. Those mesh systems seem to be much more expensive than a WIFI range extender. Looks like it's back to the drawing board for what I want.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

It does get more expensive as you add features/performance. 

the EX6120 is one of the base model AC extenders. 

I'd look at the RBS40V. Its an orbi satellite but has an extender mode and is triband. It has much better performance because of the dedicated backhaul as well as the option to use as an alexa speaker (not all alexa features work)

Message 4 of 5
tae111
Aspirant

The main reason I bought this is to boost the performance of my Ring Plus 3 video doorbell. That didn't work the way I wanted it to because everything must be connected to that network. If you wanted your tablet and phones to work with it you must select the extenders network channel in the devices. I also have the ring app on a Windows desktop computer that doesn't have WIFI but is hooked to my router via eithernet cable. Because the Ring is now set up to use the AC1200 WIFI network the computer can't access it through the router network. With a mesh system it looks like that problem is solved. That Ring doorbell is getting pretty expensive.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7