× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear AC1900 Unable to connect

RadDudesman
Tutor

Netgear AC1900 Unable to connect

Hi

I recently purchased an AC1900 Wi-Fi extender. All was working well, devices could connect and without any intervention and there were no issues. I added an AC1900 Wi-Fi Mesh Extender and things started to fall apart. I'd boot up my laptop in my office where the Wi-Fi extender is and it wouldn't connect. I'd try resetting the Wi-Fi on my laptop but with no luck, same with my phone and my wife’s devices. A reboot of the Wi-Fi extender would fix the issue but only temporarily and after a while (it looks like once mesh has kicked in) things stop working again.  Devices connect to the mesh extender without issue so I’m not sure if this is the problem. Something however is stopping devices connecting to the Wi-Fi extender.

I have other mesh devices in my house, the Sky-Q boxes operate a mesh and I’ve heard of issues they cause with the BT Whole home devices. Could this be a similar issue?

Thanks

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

If you're running 1 router and 2 wireless mesh extenders you can try just setting the ssid for one of the extenders with a unique ssid. That way the router and one extender talk to each other. the other extender shouldn't get caught in a loop if you're running that route. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@RadDudesman wrote:

Hi

I recently purchased an AC1900 Wi-Fi extender. All was working well, devices could connect and without any intervention and there were no issues. I added an AC1900 Wi-Fi Mesh Extender and things started to fall apart. I'd boot up my laptop in my office where the Wi-Fi extender is and it wouldn't connect. I'd try resetting the Wi-Fi on my laptop but with no luck, same with my phone and my wife’s devices. A reboot of the Wi-Fi extender would fix the issue but only temporarily and after a while (it looks like once mesh has kicked in) things stop working again.  Devices connect to the mesh extender without issue so I’m not sure if this is the problem. Something however is stopping devices connecting to the Wi-Fi extender.

I have other mesh devices in my house, the Sky-Q boxes operate a mesh and I’ve heard of issues they cause with the BT Whole home devices. Could this be a similar issue?

Thanks

Potentially could. Mesh extenders don't work great when you have more than 1 within range of each other. Reason why is potentially they connect to each other and not back to the router. its the reason I recommend buying a true mesh setup like orbi if you're needing more than 1 extender.

Not sure what the sky-q box mesh setup is exactly, whether its a true mesh system or a hybrid system like the mesh extenders are ( I don't have one to know). Usually if its a true mesh system, its better to buy another of that systems AP/satellites than it is to add a 3rd party extender in. 

Since you already have the netgear extender, best way to get it working is to disable the mesh feature and give it its own unique SSID. This will prevent other of the mesh devices from connecting to it and the EX**** to them. 

Which version do you have? 

Message 2 of 5
RadDudesman
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

@RadDudesman wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Potentially could. Mesh extenders don't work great when you have more than 1 within range of each other. Reason why is potentially they connect to each other and not back to the router. its the reason I recommend buying a true mesh setup like orbi if you're needing more than 1 extender.

Not sure what the sky-q box mesh setup is exactly, whether its a true mesh system or a hybrid system like the mesh extenders are ( I don't have one to know). Usually if its a true mesh system, its better to buy another of that systems AP/satellites than it is to add a 3rd party extender in. 

Since you already have the netgear extender, best way to get it working is to disable the mesh feature and give it its own unique SSID. This will prevent other of the mesh devices from connecting to it and the EX**** to them. 

Which version do you have? 

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.  So I have an Sky ER115 Router where the broadband comes in. Then an Netgear EX7000-100UKs WiFi Range extender and a AC1900 Wifi Mesh extender.

My first question was going to be how do I disable the mesh. If it's as simple as giving each device it's own SSID then I should be good. 

I'll give this a go and let you know how I get on

Thanks 🙂

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

If you're running 1 router and 2 wireless mesh extenders you can try just setting the ssid for one of the extenders with a unique ssid. That way the router and one extender talk to each other. the other extender shouldn't get caught in a loop if you're running that route. 

Message 4 of 5
RadDudesman
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

I took most of your advice, I gave each extender it's own SSID. It's a bit messier but I can make sure everything is connecting to where it should be and my original issue seems to have gone away. Looks like it could have been an issue with the mesh :s

Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7