× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear EX6200 to share xfinitywifi hotspot with one Comcast Xfinity account login

alchemista
Tutor

Netgear EX6200 to share xfinitywifi hotspot with one Comcast Xfinity account login

I want to share one Comcast xfinitywifi hotspot with multiple devices, but only want to login once to the hotspot.

So, the uplink WiFi hostpot is the public Comcast hostpot (broadcasts as xfinitywifi 2.4Ghz).  I want to connect with the EX6200 to the hotspot, login one time to my Comcast account, and then be able to connect multiple devices to the EX6200's WiFi without those devices needing to login with an Xfinity acount again.

What happens when I connect with the EX6200 is that it connects OK to the xfinitywifi, but then each device that connects to the EX6200's extended WiFi has to login to the Xfinity hotspot splash page.

Is there a way to just login one time (so that the EX6200 is what authenticates to my Comcast account), and then every other device just connects to the EX6200's broadcast extended WiFi, without needing a new login?

Message 1 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear EX6200 to share xfinitywifi hotspot with one Comcast Xfinity account login

It seems that what you are after is a kind of WiFi routing function where the base station that the extender connects to is only aware of the extender itself and not the devices behind the extender. Unfortunately that’s not how it works and data from all devices connected to the extender is passed on to the base station, for example all DHCP requests and address allocation takes place between the base station and client devices with the extender just passing data between the two.

If you were to place a router behind the extender then what you want to achieve may be possible, but I’m not sure if the router itself could be set to log in to xfinity?

Message 2 of 4
alchemista
Tutor

Re: Netgear EX6200 to share xfinitywifi hotspot with one Comcast Xfinity account login

That's correct.  I did find a way for it to work - used DD-WRT on my EX6200, set one physical interface up as a repeater for the xfinitywifi signal, and the other physical interface as an AP.  Authenticated one time to Comcast with a new MAC and then set the EX6200 to have that MAC.  Now, new devices joining do not get the login splash page anymore.

Message 3 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well that sounds like a good practical solution.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7