× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear EX8000 much slower after upgrade to Netgear RAX70 Wifi 6 router

philwangsd
Follower

Netgear EX8000 much slower after upgrade to Netgear RAX70 Wifi 6 router

Both router and extender are up-to date firmware.  1 GIG download internet service from Xfinity.

EAX8000 previously pairs with R7800 received around 366 mbps (290-400 range) with wifi 6 adaptor/receiver via 5ghz connection.

After upgrade to RAX70 (with EAX8000).best I can get is around 165 mbps, ofter just receive around 40-60 range.  The other issue is the router will not stick to top speed at 4.8Gbps at the roter configuration, only next to 2.4 gbps.

If just using RAX70 along (no Extender) i can reach 260-370 mbps range.,  what do i do wrong after upgrade?  prior upgrade the EAX8000 clearly a plus (from 140 to near 400). I seems wifi 6 router would not work well with wifi 5 extender?

BTW, 
 I also try to change chaanels, but I have no idea those chanels means?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear EX8000 much slower after upgrade to Netgear RAX70 Wifi 6 router

The EX8000 has 2x 5ghz bands. 1 works in the lower band and 1 in the higher. 1 of them has the 1733mbps option (4x4 antenna) and the other is 866mbps (2x2 antenna).

so depending on which one you're using as backhaul. will impact your front haul speeds. 

I can't remember which one is which in terms of useage. 

Try swapping which channels you use for the RAX to the lower 5ghz then reset the extender and see if its connecting at the higher or lower speeds. If its lower, then change the rax to the higher and reset the extender. (not reboot, actually factory reset the extender). 

in terms of the RAX, it uses 160hz wide channels in the DFS range  to hit the 4800mbps. If you're near an airport or anywhere with DFS usage, you  might not get the usage of dfs. 

Nighthawk RAX70 | WiFi 6 Router | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7