× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Ex6120 AP Mode Speed

Chris9393
Tutor

Netgear Ex6120 AP Mode Speed

Hi,
I currently have my Netgear Ex6120 setup in AP mode via ethernet cable running directly from my router with a Cat6 cable. My Internet speeds via the router are around 360Mbps which is what I am currently paying for however the speeds from the Netgear booster is around 50Mbps.

If I select the Extender into WPS mode to run off the WiFi, the speeds are much better around 150Mbps. Am I doing something wrong when having my booster hardwired directly to my router?

Thank you
Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 25
plemans
Guru

When you're testing in AP mode, are you testing on 5ghz or 2.4gh? 

2.4ghz is much much slower. 

Have you tried testing the cable that's connected to the EX6120 to ensure the cable supports full speeds? 

Message 2 of 25
Chris9393
Tutor

This is from running on the 5GHz connection. I hadn't actually thought about trying another cable, albeit I don't have one spare as they were provided by the electrician when we had our house rewired and installed the etherenet sockets.

I've just ordered 2 Cat6 cables and will give them a try tomorrow
Message 3 of 25
Chris9393
Tutor

Just an update, I've replaced both cables WITH Cat6 and still getting the same speeds around 40-50Mmbps. If I plug my laptop or computer directly into the ethernet wall socket I get my full speeds so it is definitely the booster holding it back.

What I have noticed is that on Netgear 7800 router, the connection flashes orange when it's connecting into the Ex6120. If I remove the ethernet cable and plug it directly into a computer or laptop it goes white.
Message 4 of 25
plemans
Guru

Have you tried factory resetting the extender? 

How old is the extender? 

What firmware is on it? 

Message 5 of 25
Chris9393
Tutor

Tried factory resetting. Purchased the Extender from Amazon just under a year ago and running on the latest firmware.
Message 6 of 25
plemans
Guru

Which version are you on? it does change or someone else with this issue could be needing to see. its why we ask. 

If its under a year old, it could be a hardware issue and could potentially be rma'd. 

I'd also try downgrading the firmware a version. it wouldn't be the first time a firmware version had a bug/issue

Message 7 of 25
Chris9393
Tutor

Currently on version V1.0.0.54_1.0.34

How would I go about downgrading the firmware?
Message 8 of 25
plemans
Guru

You download the firmware from the support site, extract it, then follow the manual firmware update process and use the older firmware instead of newer firmware. 

EX6120 | AC750 WiFi Range Extender | NETGEAR Support

How do I manually update the firmware on my NETGEAR WiFi Extender? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 9 of 25
Chris9393
Tutor

Just tried this and still get the same speeds

Message 10 of 25

@Chris9393 wrote:

What I have noticed is that on Netgear 7800 router, the connection flashes orange when it's connecting into the Ex6120.

What connection flashes orange?

Anything other than white for the Ethernet LED is a sign that the R7800 and EX6120 are communicating at 100 Mbps.

Are you using Ethernet cable embedded into the property?  It is anybody's guess what the electrician did there. The cables you plug into the wall are only a part of it.

Message 11 of 25
Chris9393
Tutor

The connection port on the R7800 router flashes orange which is connecting into and ethernet wallsocket. All cables have been checked to make sure they are connected properly. I have also tried changing ethernet ports in the back of the router, however, whatever socket I plug it into, it flashes orange.  

If I plug an ethernet cable directly into a laptop, instead of the EX6120 from the recieving ethernet port, I get full speeds. 

Message 12 of 25

@Chris9393 wrote:

The connection port on the R7800 router flashes orange which is connecting into and ethernet wallsocket.

Forgive me for finding that sentence puzzling.

So, the Ethernet port flashed orange when you plug the wallsocket Ethernet into it?

What happens if you plug the extender into the R7800 without using the property's Ethernet wiring?

@Chris9393 wrote:

All cables have been checked to make sure they are connected properly. I have also tried changing ethernet ports in the back of the router, however, whatever socket I plug it into, it flashes orange.  

I am trying to understand if the local wiring is fast enough.

As I understand it, you have

R7800 ----> Wall socket ----> Wiring ----> EX6120 AP Extender ----> Devices

What happens with:

R7800 ----> EX6120 AP Extender ----> Devices

Message 13 of 25
plemans
Guru

Prior the OP replaced the cables with cat6 but I assumed the OP tried directly off the router. MY bad. 

Message 14 of 25

Easy to get confused. I certainly am. I like to pare things down to basics and to eliminate any variables that might get in the way.

Message 15 of 25
Chris9393
Tutor

My router has 4 ethernet ports in which I can plug directly into. Whichever port I plug the ethernet cable (which will run directly into the wall socket) suddenly flashes orange when connected.

You are correct with my setup.
Router -> Wall Socket Input -> Wall Socket output -> Ex6120

I have tried Router -> Ex6120.

Both produce the same speeds around 40mbs
Message 16 of 25
plemans
Guru

makes me suspect hardware failure in the EX6120. 

I'd check the ethernet jack in the ex6120 to see if any pins are bent/broken. 

If its within its 1 year warranty (longer in some areas), you could open a support case. 

Message 17 of 25
Chris9393
Tutor

Just an update I was able to send off my device for a replacement under warranty however I am still having the same issue. Again, if I plug a device directly into the socket via ethernet cable I get full speeds but as soon as I set up the EX6120 as an access point via ethernet the max speed is around 40-50mbs.
Message 18 of 25

@Chris9393 wrote:
Again, if I plug a device directly into the socket via ethernet cable I get full speeds but as soon as I set up the EX6120 as an access point via ethernet the max speed is around 40-50mbs.

Are we really talking about the EX6120?

This is an ageing (2015) device. (Does Netgear still sell them?)

The specifications aren't great. (I looked at the manual.) For example,  Ethernet is limited to 100BASE-TX. And that's top whack for the specifications. Real life probably won't get near that. It certainly won't get 100 Mbps.

This is why your router is showing a 100 Mbps link. IThe router is just reflecting the extender's Ethernet specifications.

So your wired connection with the EX6120 is slower than your 360 Mbps Internet service.

The wifi through that repeater may be faster internally, on your local network, but it won't beat that for an Internet connection in AP mode.

Seems like time to buy something designed for the speed of your Internet service.

Message 19 of 25
Chris9393
Tutor

Thank you for the reply. I had a feeling that this would be the case in the end that it simply cannot output the high speeds in AP mode. Is there one you would recommend which can?
Message 20 of 25
plemans
Guru

I don't have an ex6120 to test or a reviewed test on one but the EX6150 is fairly similar in hardware/performance and hits better speeds hardwired/ap mode than what you're currently getting. 

NETGEAR EX6150 AC1200 WiFi Range Extender Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder

So while I feel the extender you're on is a little older, its not necessarily the extender holding you back. I'd try testing with different wireless devices or connected to a different router. When more than 1 extender is having the same issue, it tends not to be the issue of the extender. 

Message 21 of 25

@plemans wrote:

I don't have an ex6120 to test or a reviewed test on one but the EX6150 is fairly similar in hardware/performance ....

There is an important difference between these two devices where they are by no means "fairly similar".

The EX6120, as I reported, has 100BASE-TX as the wired "interface" specification. For the EX6150 it is 1000BASE-T.

Because of that, I would expect to see large differences in AP or wired speed tests.

1000BASE-T is faster than the Internet @Chris9393 reports whereas 100BASE-TX is slower.

Message 22 of 25
plemans
Guru

Except that in testing the 5ghz uplink was 80mbps and downlink was 135mbps. So the uplink isn't bottlenecked at the ethernet connection except for a little on the downlink. When it bottlenecks it should still be a faster than the 40mbps the OP is hitting.
Again, i don't have one to test so I can't attest to the actual speeds on it hardwired. I'm just going off similar tested devices. @michaelkenward do you have one to test to check the actual speeds?
Message 23 of 25
Chris9393
Tutor

On looking at the side of the box it does state the following:
One (1) 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Port with auto-sensing technology.

Now I'm assuming that this explains it and it simply cannot output more than 100Mbps via ethernet port.
Message 24 of 25

@Chris9393 wrote:

Now I'm assuming that this explains it and it simply cannot output more than 100Mbps via ethernet port.

And that is probably with the wind behind it. These speed promises are measured in idealised conditions. Real life usually doesn't get that good.

So, as I understand it, which may be wrong, if the wifi bit can handle a gazillion bps between AP and client, there is a bottleneck back to the router.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7