× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Genie working as same network

jhsal
Aspirant

Netgear Genie working as same network

My Wifi extender is conected by cable. In that way I can only configure it as Access Point, but it creates a new network. The only way I found to work in the same network is setting it up as an Wifi Extender. Is there any way to conected it by cable and still be in the same network?

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Genie working as same network

@jhsal wrote:

Router Model - D-Link DIR-809

• Firmware Version 1.09LA

Extender Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender

• Firmware Version V1.0.0.32_1.0.21

I've not used d-link routers in quite a long time so I can't speak about why the d-link isn't showing the connected devices that are connected to the extender. It'd be good to ask that question in their forums or support. 

Speaking for the extender. Its expected that it only shows the devices that are connected to it. All my extenders exhibit that same trait of only showing those that connect to it. Thats not a flaw or a problem. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@jhsal wrote:

My Wifi extender is conected by cable. In that way I can only configure it as Access Point, but it creates a new network. The only way I found to work in the same network is setting it up as an Wifi Extender. Is there any way to conected it by cable and still be in the same network?

Not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish here. You're hardwired in and setup as AP. this is good. Its the best way to run an extender. But I'm not sure what you're meaning by "be in the same network"? 

Are you talking same wifi name? You can set it the same but its not a mesh network so it won't seamlessly roam for devices. 

Or is it not in the same ip range? You can set it up with a static ip address. 

I guess i"m just needing a little clarification on what you're trying to do here. 

here's the support page that can help with some of these questions.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6120.aspx

Message 2 of 6
jhsal
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for helping me. Let me try clarify...

I've a wifi router an my netgear is hardwired on it as an AP.  Both have the same SSID.  If I'm conected to the AP I can only see devices conected to them, not the ones conected to the wifi router. The same happen when I'm connected to the wife router, I cannot see devices conected to the AP.... There is a way I can see all the devices??? Maybe the solution is setup a static IP, not sure how to do it.....

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

What router are you using?

Its fairly standard for the extender to only show the devices connected to it. 

the router, I'm not sure as you haven't listed what router you're using.

router:

Firmware on router:

Message 4 of 6
jhsal
Aspirant

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@jhsal wrote:

I've not used d-link routers in quite a long time so I can't speak about why the d-link isn't showing the connected devices that are connected to the extender. It'd be good to ask that question in their forums or support. 

Speaking for the extender. Its expected that it only shows the devices that are connected to it. All my extenders exhibit that same trait of only showing those that connect to it. Thats not a flaw or a problem. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7