× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Mesh Extender advice

KevinE_111
Tutor

Netgear Mesh Extender advice

I tried to hook up model 6150 tonight and couldn't. I had the nighthawk app downloaded. The chat discussion turned me to a phone call by another party. That party looked at my service as I let him hop on to my system through realvnc. He said my speed was fine, that I had way too many things running on my single IP address? That the DCHP needed reconfigured? Thay they could perform this service for a fee. Is this normal? I did not give out any financial info. Just wondering if this is normal? Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

total scam. You must have googled a number and gotten a scam site. It happens a lot. 

They're trying to sell you stuff you don't need. 

What actual issue are you having? 

here's manuals, guides, firmware: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6150.aspx

Message 2 of 6
KevinE_111
Tutor

My wi-fi would not find "netgear" as a connection. The tech said I had too many items hooked into the exact same destination or IP address, that they could help with that for a fee... I have blink cameras,alexa, my wireless internet, ect. No gamers on my network...The router wifi would not even see the range extender due to that. The chat session person from Nighthawk asked for my number to get direct tech support involved. They called me from that interaction.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Did you set it up using wps first? If so, it sets up in default in a mesh configuration with the same ssid/password as the primary router you set it up with. 

Your details are a bit vague on what you've done and whats exactly going on. 

What router do you have? 

What firmware is on the router and the extender? 

What method of setup are you using? 

What are the led's on the extender doing (all of them)?

How many devices are on your network?

Lets move on past the scam site/call you got. Not sure who you talked to but netgear doesn't sell you firewalls/security. 

they do charge a fee for support but thats only if you're past your first 90 days of support period. 

Message 4 of 6
KevinE_111
Tutor

I did not set it up with any WPS. I was following the APP instructions from Nighthawk.The chat I had was with the APP people from Nighthawk.. I have a Hitron coda 5719. Unsure of the firmware on either or how I would go about finding out what is on my system for devices. Only the known that I listed. Streaming via internet, wifi computer, 2 echo dots, blink cameras-6 of them. That's it. The only lights on the extender were the power and the one right next to it-maybe a signal search sign...The main issue is that my router did not even "see"the Netgear extender to follow more nighthawk app instructions...

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Your router shouldn't "see" the extender for setup. the extender is what connects to the router. 

Factory reset the extender  and set it up using the installation assistant.
To factory reset, push and hold the reset button for 7-15 seconds while powered on. 
Here's a video of how to use the assistant. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVklshxBMk

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series