× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7800 X4S (AC2600) + Extender?

jchandra
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk R7800 X4S (AC2600) + Extender?

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice on a mesh extender. I own a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 X4S (AC2600). I am considering purchasing an EX6410 or an EX7500 mesh extender. Which one would be most suitable? Is the EX7500 an older model? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

No. Again, the triband extender will function much better even with a dual band router. 

Its just because of that dedicated backhaul for router---extender communiction. its similar to how the orbi setup works without something controlling the system. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I would go with the EX7500 because its triband. 

Standard extenders have to recieve and then transmit with the same chip. and they can't do both at once. so they automatically take a 50% throughput hit on speed. 

The tribands mitigate that by having a 2nd 5ghz band just for router----extender communication. This lets them have much faster speeds and lower latency. 

Message 2 of 4
jchandra
Tutor

Amazing, thanks for the education!

The fact that my router is dual band doesn't therefore mean I have to have a matchng dual band extender?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

No. Again, the triband extender will function much better even with a dual band router. 

Its just because of that dedicated backhaul for router---extender communiction. its similar to how the orbi setup works without something controlling the system. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7