× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Trek N300 question: Wireless Networking Broadcast

Techy_Texan010
Follower

Netgear Trek N300 question: Wireless Networking Broadcast

Hi everyone,

I bought a Netgear Trek N300 series router for travel purposes, and sometimes I use it while I am at the house. Yesterday, I was using the Network Genie software to determine why my speed was slow, and I noticed there were 7- 8 network devices that had different IP addresses; sometimes it varied between 6-7 network devices. I'm assuming that my wifi router is broadcasting, and i only want it to broadcast to two devices that are mine. So how do i limit the amount of devices that are connected to it? I only had two network devices that were connected to the router, and i do have a few other network devices, but i did not connect them to the wireless router.   Until then I think i will limit using the router until i feel that it is secured.  Assistance is appreciated.

Screen shot:

Netgear.jpg

Message 1 of 2
netwrks
Master

Re: Netgear Trek N300 question: Wireless Networking Broadcast

If you can get on the N300 - change the device logon password change the SSID and passphrase, to a strong passphrase. If it is the default passphrase, that is probably how other's are connecting to it. 

EDIT: Tips for creating strong passwords / passphrases here

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7