× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear WN2000RPT Ethernet Speed

jeev
Aspirant

Netgear WN2000RPT Ethernet Speed

I am trying to use WN2000RPT v1 with my computer connected using Cat-6 ethernet cable. The problem is that my computer Ethernet always negotiates 100MBPS link with WN2000RPT.  However, if I connect my computer to my nighthawk router using the same cable, it immediately negotiates 1000mbps link. This rules out any issue with computer, ethernet card or the cable. 

I tried to force my computer ethernet to use 1000Mbps by setting auto negotiation off but it does not connect at all with WN2000RPT in that case. 

As per the specification, WN2000RPT v1 supports 1000mbps, or is specification wrong? 

Any idea?

Model: WN2000RPT|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 14
roshj
Aspirant

I have the same problem. speed is 100mb/s and download is as low as 20mb/s

Message 2 of 14
Coaleyed
Guide

So clarifying by setting them to 1000Mbps.

You went to the ethernet adapter, in the advanced tab and clicked Speed & Duplex and put the setting to 1.0Gbps Full Duplex and repeated the process on the WN2000RPT?

Verification path to check in Windows 10 (one of many)
Control Panel > Network & Internet > Change adapter options > Interface you are using > Properties > Configure (button) > Advanced (tab) > Scroll down (button) > Speed & Duplex > Value (drop-down) > 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex 

Message 3 of 14
jeev
Aspirant

yes, it does not work. If I force 1gbps, link never goes UP with WN2000RPT. I already mentioned that no issues with Nighthawk so there is no issue with computer setup. It's something to do with WN2000RPT

are WN2000RPT ethernet ports 1GBPS? If yes, any pecularities ?

Message 4 of 14
Coaleyed
Guide

I've done some reading, and had to go back to some old Cisco terminology here to see your answer.  After looking all over the place for numeric information regarding the interface I'm seeing that the ports on the WN2000RPTv2 are titled "Fast Ethernet Ports".  In Cisco lingo, and the majority of the network platforms this becomes a Fa port in CLI.

Fa ports are not Gi ports.  In otherwords, I would suspect that this is a 100Mbps interface.  When you see 1000Mbps on the otherside I would suspect that it's either cosmetic, or incorrectly assuming a speed negotiation. 

Message 5 of 14
jeev
Aspirant

I though so as I also designed switches for Lucent, however this doc mentions 1000mbps interface 

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN2000RPT/WN2000RPT_UM_8Dec10.pdf 

Message 6 of 14
Coaleyed
Guide

Interesting, this is pretty strange for sure.   It's definitely not wanting to negotiate for some reason.  Wonder if the NIC doesn't like the way it talks to the computer.  Brand issue perhaps?  

Message 7 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@jeev wrote:

If I force 1gbps, link never goes UP with WN2000RPT.

This is a violation of the IEEE 802.3 standards anyway, from Section 2:

28D.5 Extensions required for Clause 40 (1000BASE-T)
Clause 40 (1000BASE-T) makes special use of Auto-Negotiation and requires additional MII registers. This use is summarized below. Details are provided in 40.5.

a. Auto-Negotiation is mandatory for 1000BASE-T (see 40.5.1).
28D.6 Extensions required for Clause 55 (10GBASE-T)
Clause 55 (10GBASE-T) makes special use of Auto-Negotiation and requires additional MDIO registers. This use is summarized below. Details are provided in 55.6.

a. Auto-Negotiation is mandatory for 10GBASE-T.

@jeev wrote:

They are not, all Fast Ethernet only...

The v1 and v2 user manual has various (partially obvious - USB, DOCSIS ...) errors in the tech specs, with the v3 hardware release the doc was fixed, too. The data sheets do nowhere talk of Gigabit.

Message 8 of 14
jeev
Aspirant

hmm, that was my doubt too but that specs document caused confusion. 

However, now I see another link with more chipset specs and logs on 1gbps negotiated on open-wrt, and so more confusion

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39928&highlight=wnr2000

ath_pci: trunk
eth0: link up (1000Mbps/Full duplex)
br-lan: port 1(eth0) entering learning state
br-lan: topology change detected, propagating
br-lan: port 1(eth0) entering forwarding state
br-lan: port 1(eth0) entering disabled state
br-lan: port 1(eth0) entering learning state
br-lan: topology change detected, propagating
br-lan: port 1(eth0) entering forwarding state

Message 9 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@roshj wrote:

I have the same problem. speed is 100mb/s and download is as low as 20mb/s

Suspect that's related to the 802.11n wireless part, or whatever is in the uplink. Under ideal conditions (where you won't need an extender btw.) the PHY link rate is 300 Mb/s what does translate to an effective max, throughout on the wireless extension link of 165..195 Mb/s the PHY link rate is 450 Mb/s what does translate to an effective max, throughout on the wireless extension link of 248..293 Mb/s. Now you can argue that one wired device can't use the full speed because of the Fast Ethernet port - however in a typical wireless extender set-up I doubt the extender does ever reach a data rate beyond of Fast Ethernet.

Message 10 of 14
jeev
Aspirant

well, numbers are matching. I don't think wireless is the culprit here. I am seeing wireless speed 247mbps in status and if ethernet was working as expected, the download could have beeen much better. It's just that ethernet is at 100mbps that puts max throughput limit to 30mbps (CSMA/CD limits). If is outrageous if they are really 100mbps and netgear used 100mbps ports on 300mbps advertised extender. 

Message 11 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@jeev wrote:

well, numbers are matching. I don't think wireless is the culprit here. I am seeing wireless speed 247mbps in status and if ethernet was working as expected, the download could have beeen much better.  

Correct. The speed shwon is a PHY link rate however.

@jeev wrote:

It's just that ethernet is at 100mbps that puts max throughput limit to 30mbps (CSMA/CD limits). 

Not sure what you want to say here. The Fast Ethernet switch on board does certainly not limit the speed for up- and downlink. Unclear f the other user testing concurrent up- and down speed over the wireless extension link.

@jeev wrote:

If is outrageous if they are really 100mbps and netgear used 100mbps ports on 300mbps advertised extender. 

There are four 100 Mb/s ports - more than enough bandwidth of what the wireless extension link will ever make. 

How many consumer Gigabit Routers make one+one Gigabit routing performance?

Then, look at top of the line 802.11ac routers promoted as AC5400 with one Gigabit WAN and four Gigabit LAN ports. Outrageous?

Or the top of the line WiFi 6 routers promoted as AX11000 with a 2.5G (or a pair of GbE) WAN and four GbE LAN ports. Outrageous? 

Going into a different market level, we can look at 52/54 port GbE switches with four/six GbE/SFP uplink ports. Outrageous?

Or 52 port GbE switches with four 10GbE/SFP+ uplinks. Outrageous?

Oh my ISP router for the symmetric 10Gb fiber does come with one 2.5Gb, four 1Gb, and some WiFi - Ok, this is kind of balanced but I can't really make full usage of my 10Gb switch infrastructure and servers.... Outrageous?

Message 12 of 14
jeev
Aspirant

you must be netgear  or just some kind of guy with extremely narrow perspective. Yes, if AC5400 offers 1GBPS LAN, it is outrageous. 

And why would i care how many ports are there? If i use 1 port, it should be able to give me 100% throughput through that port. If not, it's outrageous. 

Message 13 of 14
schumaku
Guru

The br-lan nicked eth0 is the internal radio interface bridge e.g. an MII or RMII or some "better" way (dunno) to the Fast Ethernet switch chip.

Considering we talk of a 2.4 GHz 802.11n 2x2 single radio device (N300) operating in extender mode where each data frame does go over the air twice - sequentially - handled by a single radio, the real net performance must be well below the half of the possible data rate of the negotiated link rate to the primary router radio. Ample of spare performance on the Fast Ethernet ...

The test of the (probably the initial v1) NETGEAR WN2000RPT Universal WiFi Range Extender Reviewed - Performance does confirm my suspicion.

Not Netgear, and certainly not a wireless dreamer - just a realist...

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7