× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear WN2000RPTv3 doesn't seem to be transmitting any signal at all - Is it broken?

jonl201
Aspirant

Netgear WN2000RPTv3 doesn't seem to be transmitting any signal at all - Is it broken?

I just picked up a used WN2000RPTv3 WiFi range extender but I think it might be broken.  It powers up fine, but when I try to configure it, none of my PCs see it transmitting the NETGEAR_EXT signal.  I tried running the WPS connection with my Asus N900 router but it never connected.  I'm running Win8.1.  

So I tried the next step and connected it directly to my PC with an ethernet cable. My Status LED is always green and when I connected the cable, the Client Link LED (below the status one) lights up green.

Then I tried to connect to the Extender going to the www.mywifiext.net site but it keeps giving me the error screen "You are not connected to your extender's WIFI network.  

All of this is leading me to believe that the extender is broken and not transmitting. I can't access the Netgear menu to set up a new extender and I can't even tell if it's connected or not.

So I'm looking for any quick solutions. I can return the extender within 24 hours so the clock is ticking. 

Appreciate any quick feedback anyone might have. Thanks in advance for your help!

Model: WN2000RPTv3|WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Re: Netgear WN2000RPTv3 doesn't seem to be transmitting any signal at all - Is it broken?

Hi @jonl201,

Did you tried 192.168.1.250? If you still cannot access it, please check and ensure there is no static IP assigned on the LAN of PC to which it is wired.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Re: Netgear WN2000RPTv3 doesn't seem to be transmitting any signal at all - Is it broken?

Hi @jonl201,

Did you tried 192.168.1.250? If you still cannot access it, please check and ensure there is no static IP assigned on the LAN of PC to which it is wired.

Message 2 of 6
jonl201
Aspirant

Thanks jvasanth1984 (Virtuoso),

I thought I had tried that isp, but it worked this time so maybe not. I was able to get into NetGear Genius (?) setup and it found my Extender. I then connected it to my WiFi network and was able to update the firmware as well so it looks like everything is working.

The only thing I'm not sure of now is that after it updated the firmware, it dumped me back to a Netgear Login where it's looking for a Username (an email address) and a Password.

I tried using my email address with the password I set up for this Netgear Community site, but that didn't work. It seemed to accept my email address but I have no idea what password would be associated with this for the Netgear site.  Any clues or suggestions?

Message 3 of 6
jonl201
Aspirant

Addenda - Now when I put in the 192.168.1.250 address in my browser, it takes me to the Netgear login page as I described above but I'm not sure what password to use with my email address. For that matter, do I need to log back into this site?  I'm just concerned if I should run into issues in the future with this extender, will I need to know how to log into the 192.168.1.250 page?  Thanks in advance for your responses.

Message 4 of 6
jvasanth1984
Virtuoso

Hi @jonl201,

Since you upgraded firmware, you got a new interface where login screen will looks different. Try admin and password as credentials where it should work. Else, look for password help down below if you already created account. Please note that the credentials that you use for community is not same for extender untill you set it up that way now.

Message 5 of 6
jonl201
Aspirant

Thanks, it is a new looking interface. It did not have any help buttons for "Forget Username" or Forget Password, just Username and Password entries.  I tried the default admin and password but it was looking for an email address.  And when I tried my email address and password it didn't work so I'm not sure what it is looking for. I sent a note to register the Extender so we'll see what Netgear sends back to me in response.  Thanks for the help.  Hopefully I won't need to login again to the Netgear site for any issues with this Extender.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7