× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear WNR1000v3 Connects but then drops on new device

netgear1312
Follower

Netgear WNR1000v3 Connects but then drops on new device

We've had our Netgear WNR1000 for over a year or so and it has worked great! I connect two home laptops, two android phones, two ipod touches, and have had my work computer connected in the past. All with no problems....and all with good speeds.

I recently got a new work laptop (Toshiba Protege). When I brought it home the first time, I had nothing but problems trying to connect to my home network. Eventually I got it connected, and it will connect to the internet and work. Typically though the connection speed seems really slow. Then, after about 5 minutes (or some random time), it seems like it drops the connection.

I connected to my router to watch the connected devices. Sure enough, my work computer shows up and gets an IP, shows the device name, and the MAC address. Once the connection drops though, if I refresh the device list, the MAC address is still listed, by the IP address and device name are no longer shown.

Again, it's not that the computer WON'T connect, but just won't stay connected. And it seems to be unique to that laptop. No other devices have the issue. And the laptop does not seem to have the issue when connecting to other networks. (I.e. I've connected to wireless at work, at the airport, even on an airplane - and had no noticeable connection issues.)

Any ideas for what could be causing this issue? Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 3
methuselah_
Aspirant

Re: Netgear WNR1000v3 Connects but then drops on new device

Can you tell us the firmware version of your Netgear router? (found on Router Status)

Also post the wireless settings of your router. (you dont need to disclose the passphrase)

Please post the OS of the work laptop and the wireless card manufacturer as well as the driver version. Might as well check if you have the latest driver for its wifi card.
Message 2 of 3
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Netgear WNR1000v3 Connects but then drops on new device

make sure you are using WPA2 encryption and driver of wifi is up to date
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7