× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear WiFi Range Extender EX2700

mikeshe
Aspirant

Netgear WiFi Range Extender EX2700

I have set up the above extender according to the instructions on my BT Hub5 Router. Extender setup said it was all connected. I have wireless cctv cameras on my house and I wanted the extender to boost the signal strength at the rear of the property.

No matter what I do, nothing makes the signal any stronger. If I turn the extender off absolutley no difference is made to the signal strength according to the monitor screen on the cctv camera signal readings so I can only assume that it hasn't for some reason extended my signal. The extender is showing solid green lights for good strength. Can anyone help please, running out of ideas and patience?

TIA.

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear WiFi Range Extender EX2700

CCTV cameras have a tendancy to be sticky. Meaning that they tend to connect to a device and stay connected to it. Did you setup the extender with a unique ssid and connect them cameras to the extender or did you try to keep the same ssid as your router? 

Message 2 of 6
mikeshe
Aspirant

I have tried the same SSID as the router, it's own with the _ext and the same one as the cameras themselves. Nothing seemed to improve the signal strength at the back camera.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

what materials are the exterior walls in your house?

Foil lined insulation in walls?

What's the siding?

many materials are great at blocking wifi. Many of them tend to be on the exterior of houses. If the cameras are exterior and these materials are between the router/extender, its tough to improve the signal unless you can get the device to the exterior of the home. But then your caught in the catch--22 of the router not getting good signal to the extender. 

Message 4 of 6
mikeshe
Aspirant

Outside walls are normal brick with block cavity.

The camera is mounted on the rear of the conservatory and the extender is only about 5 feet below it and the only material between the two is triple glazing. Lights are solid green on the extender so that's picking up the router ok.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Brick blocks signal to an amazing amount. 

does it go  router------>brick wall------>extender------>glazing------->camera?

I'd try doing some speedtesting with a phone. try different spots to see how much speed is impacted. the "signal meter" isn't that accurate. See how its running connected to the router and to the extender and in different locations.

An extender isn't going to increase your speed by the very nature of how they function. They will increase the range if properly placed. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7