× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Wifi range extender Model WN3000RPv3 wont connect to internet

Moses2021
Initiate

Netgear Wifi range extender Model WN3000RPv3 wont connect to internet

Hi. I have been using this wifi extender for around 4 years without any issues. since last week the devices connected to the extender is unable to connect to the internet. 

I have done the following investigation.

1. Try to update firmware directly logging into the extender.

Result: It gives an error that it cannot connect to the internet

2. The status in the extender is all ok and it says it is connected to my router with good signal.

3. Set the IP address to manual in my laptop that is connected to the extender.

Result: I am able to connect to the internet without any problem.

observation: when my laptop is on auto dhcp mode the ipaddress that gets allocated by the extender is 192.168.1.128  with a gateway of 192.168.1.150 (this is extender's IP address).

While when I set manual IP, I set the gateway to 192.168.1.1 which is my broadband router's IP.

My conclusion from point 3 : Looks like there is a problem with the dhcp module in the extender that is not providing the right gateway or it is not forwrading the traffic from the extender to the router.  I have tried this from multiple devices only manual IP addressing works.

4. I have tried resetting to factory default multiple times but in vain.

5. One more observation. When I check the extenders device time. It points to 1970s and not current time. I set the time to manual and set it to my correct local time.

6. If I configure my extender as an access point instead of extender and use a direct lan cable from the extender to the router, it works fine.

so the problem is using it as an extender on wifi it does not connect to the internet and I suspect it is the DHCP module that could be the issue. 

Has anyone have seen similar problems and found any solution ?

Thanks.

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Moses2021
Initiate

Re: Netgear Wifi range extender Model WN3000RPv3 wont connect to internet

Thanks for responding. I am using TP-Link router with it and use installation assistant. 

Fortunately The issue is now resolved. This is what I did.

1. downloaded the latest firmware manually and applied. existing version was 1.0.2.24. The version that was available for manual download was 1.0.2.100. 

After applying latest firmware, the same behaviour was seen .Gateway IP being set was 192.168.1.250. so obviously couldnt connect to the internet.

2. Enabled my mobile hotspot and configured repeator to connect to my mobile hotspot instead of my router. This worked without any issues and was able to connect to the internet..

3. Now, I powered off my TP-link router and left it for 2 minutes. Powered it on.

4. Re-configured repeator to connect to the TP-link router. This WORKED. I could also see that the gateway now being assigned is 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.1.250..

So not sure if it was something to do with the router or repeator. but all has ended well for now.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What router are you connecting it to? 

Are you setting it up using WPS or the installation assistant?

Message 2 of 4
Moses2021
Initiate

Thanks for responding. I am using TP-Link router with it and use installation assistant. 

Fortunately The issue is now resolved. This is what I did.

1. downloaded the latest firmware manually and applied. existing version was 1.0.2.24. The version that was available for manual download was 1.0.2.100. 

After applying latest firmware, the same behaviour was seen .Gateway IP being set was 192.168.1.250. so obviously couldnt connect to the internet.

2. Enabled my mobile hotspot and configured repeator to connect to my mobile hotspot instead of my router. This worked without any issues and was able to connect to the internet..

3. Now, I powered off my TP-link router and left it for 2 minutes. Powered it on.

4. Re-configured repeator to connect to the TP-link router. This WORKED. I could also see that the gateway now being assigned is 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.1.250..

So not sure if it was something to do with the router or repeator. but all has ended well for now.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

glad you got it resolved. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7