× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Wireless N150 Access Point WN604 Losing / Forgetting Settings after Reboot

terryclancy
Follower

Netgear Wireless N150 Access Point WN604 Losing / Forgetting Settings after Reboot

I have a NETGEAR Wireless N150 Access Point WN604 which is losing / Forgetting Settings after Reboot or power cycle.

It loses among other things the following settings:
• Access Point Name
• NTP Host Name
• IP Settings
• Wireless SSID
• Wireless Channel
• Security Settings

I have had this device for some time and it has always had this problem – only now have I had the time to look into it in detail and document the problem.

Apart from the device works but fails after every reboot or power cycle.

I suspect this is a hardware issue – can you confirm ?

Please tell me how I can resolve this.

Terry Clancy

Message 1 of 5
ScubaClaude
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Wireless N150 Access Point WN604 Losing / Forgetting Settings after Reboo

I had the same problem with two units but found a workaround. I've found the problem to be with the Netgear Registration box so you need to get this to reappear.

Connect to the unit using a wired connection, not wifi.

Take a backup of the config and reboot AP. Just reboot don't factory reset!

Log on to the AP and restore the config, wait for the unit to reboot.

Log on to the AP and this time the Netgear Registration box will appear

### IMPORTANT BIT ###
Only ever click "Remind Me Later" and the AP works fine. Click anything else and the settings get "locked"

My units have been working fine since I discovered this

Good luck
Message 2 of 5
filicaja
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Wireless N150 Access Point WN604 Losing / Forgetting Settings after Reboo

I had the same problem. I did what ScubaClaude suggested but it didn't work. Eventually I restored the factory settings of the AP.

Now it is working fine 🙂

Antonio.

Message 3 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi filicaja, 

Welcome to the community! 

Thank you for your contribution, I belive this issue may have been fixed by using the newer firmwares. You can download latest versions here.

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 5
Hiballer
Aspirant

I have the same problem also.

The most annoying reversion/loss is that of the Primary DNS Server. It keeps reverting to 192.168.1.1 and keep having to change that to 192.168.1.254 to accomodate my UVerse router/modem. Until that is done, the AP is horribly sluggish and may take as long as 2 minutes to display a page.

The wireless AP broadcast name keeps resetting to one I used a few years ago and WILL NOT ratain a newer name I've given it. Along with this, the registration keeps popping up and greying out all the choices until I hit one of the buttons. I have registered this AP at least 10 times, yet this registration request keeps popping up every time I access the equipment.

I have downloaded and tried the firmware update offered by JohnRo, but this didn't seem to help. I am now at 3.3.1, but I see there is a newer version of 3.3.2. Will that help?:

Bill

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7