× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear wn3000rp v1h2 dropping connection

Shick31
Aspirant

Netgear wn3000rp v1h2 dropping connection

Since installing this extended a few weeks ago, the connection drops a few times per day. We have had out BT engineers to check out phoneline, and our connection to the signal box on our road, the connection to the computer connected via ethernet does not drop and we have replaced our router - So it is pretty much agreed that it is the fault of the extender. When the connection drops, it drops from both the extender and the main router. When it drops, the Router still has a connection to the internet, logging into both the router and extender show that there is a throughstream of connection and all devices stay connected to the router or extender - but we cannot access the internet. Firmware is up to date.

Message 1 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Re: Netgear wn3000rp v1h2 dropping connection

It's possible that the signal is too weak for the extender to stay connected or it is being disrupted by radio noise.  Baby monitors, cordless phones, microwave ovens, Bluetooth devices, USB 3.0 devices and, yes, other Wi-Fi networks can interfere with your Wi-Fi connection.  See if your connection drops are correlated with the use of any of these devices.  Try moving the extender closer to the router.  The lights on the extender provide a visual indication of the Wi-Fi signal strength (Green, Amber, Red). Look at page 14 in the manual.

Better yet, convert the extender to an Access Point by running an Ethernet cable from the extender to the router.  This is the ideal setup. Alternatively, you can install a Powerline network.  This won't be as good as Ethernet but it'll still be better than wireless.

Regardless of how you choose to connect the WN3000RP to your router, you should take a survey of active Wi-Fi networks around you and change the Wi-Fi channel used by your router to the least used channel.  You can use Netgear's desktop Genie app, or free programs like Vistumbler or Acrylic Wi-Fi.

Message 2 of 9
Shick31
Aspirant

Thanks for your swift reply. The lights always tend to stay green on the extender. Would an Xbox one class as a USB 3.0 device? I believe it has such capability, and it is when using the Xbox One that I notice the drop (of all internet) - although there is not a direct correlation between Xbox use and connection drop. I have changed channel from 6 (used by a few others) to 2 (unused by others) and so far so good. Hadn't heard of Powerline, just looking into it. I see you can get wireless Powerline products - So would purchasing a Powerline device essentially replace my current extender? Sorry, I'm slightly broadening beyond strictly Netgear issues, but your help is appreciated! 

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

It's doubtful that an Xbox One would generate enough radio noise to disrupt the Wi-Fi connection, especially if its USB 3.0 are not being used. Hopefully, the change to channel 2 will help.  Is the WN3000RP running the latest firmware, 1.0.1.24?

Yes, a wireless Powerline product would replace the extender.  Or you could get a non-wireless Powerline product and plug the extender into it if it saves money or you need the flexibility to place the extender where Powerline can't reach.

Message 4 of 9
Shick31
Aspirant

It's dropped out again. It is running firmware 1.0.2.64_1.1.86 - Which appeared to be the latest one on the website. It seems Powerline may not be an option, chap today at the shop said as our house was builty around 1920s, the wiring is too old for powerline to work. 

Message 5 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Ah, you probably have old knob and tubing wiring.  Your house was certainly built in an era where it was still used.  That's too bad.

Were you able to correlate the connection drop with anything?  Do you know if the extender is spontaneously rebooting?  You could try looking at the Show Statisticsscreen reachable from the Statuspage.

Message 6 of 9
Shick31
Aspirant

No, not been able to correlate anything as of yet. It worked during the day with the Xbox when I was home alone, but dropped out throughout the evening when others were at home, using the internet periodically, leading me to think it was perhaps to do with other people using it. But then it dropped again once everyone had gone to bed and it was just me using it again, so now I'm not sure! 

Message 7 of 9
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Shick31,

Please contact Support and see if you qualify for a replacement unit:
http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx

Message 8 of 9
Shick31
Aspirant

Hi Nhann, I decided to unplug the extender and the problem persisted - so it can't be that. Not sure what it could be now the line has been checked and router replaced. Anyway, thank you for your help with the extender. Much appreciated. Cheers
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7