× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network extender AC 750 EX2800

mshore
Tutor

Network extender AC 750 EX2800

I have a new network extender that I've had no problem connecting to my router, but it shows up as a long strange name in my network options list and requires a password. I have spent several hours (yes, hours) both in chat and today on the phone with customer service reps who have not been able to help me finish my set up. They haven't heard of the long name of the network and don't know what to do re: the password. The man I spoke with today is calling me back tonight after consulting with other experts to try to help me. If anyone has any ideas in the meantime, that would be great. I'm about to send it back and try a different brand.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Network extender AC 750 EX2800

Did you set it up using wps or using the installation assistant? 

Message 2 of 5
mshore
Tutor

I set it up with the WPS. I may have figured it out last night. Found a WPA passkey on the router and tried that as the "password" for the strange name that appeared to relate to the extender. Miraculously, it worked. However, I'm not sure it's doing what I needed it to do....it seems to open pages slowly. I need to be on zoom all day with clients. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you!

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

single and dual band extenders (by there very nature) drop throughput speeds 50%. 

Reason why is they have to use the same chip to go router-----extender  and then  extender------device. 

And they can't do both at once. 

So they drop speeds. 

they're great at adding coverage where you didn't have any but can cause slow downs if you had a decent connection to the router. 

they do make triband extenders that have a 3rd band that is dedicated to the router-----extender connection so they don't take the same throughput hit. 

Message 4 of 5
mshore
Tutor

That makes sense and I thought that might be the case. I'll have to test zoom calls on it and if they're breaking up, I might upgrade to the triband.

Thank you so much for your help!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7