× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network improvement suggestions

ZMBridge
Aspirant

Network improvement suggestions

I'm trying to get suggestions from anyone on what I may need to do for network. Currently I have a mesh system (another manufacturer) and wondering if a gaming router would be a better route. My main issue is with 6 hard wired POE cameras that I have to lower the frame rate to 8 fps. Otherwise they start losing video. I'm wondering if a faster router would assist communications. Thank you.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Network improvement suggestions

a better description might help before we could tell  you if a router upgrade is needed or maybe a modem or speed increase is needed.

1. what cameras are you using?

2. Are you using a poe switch to power your camera's? What one?

3. "start losing video" doesn't tell me much. Is it lagging while streaming through an app, what exactly is happening?

4. If you disconnect all but 1 camera does it work on full resolution and frame rate? And then start adding camera's until it  doesn't?

5. What upload and download speeds do you pay for? What do you actually get?

6. What is model mesh system are you using?

7. Modem you're using?

The reason we need more help is that cameras use more bandwidth. If the app you're using is uploading it all online for you to stream to apps, thats a lot of bandwidth. Plus most providers upload speed is much less than their download. I pay for gigabit speeds but my upload is 40 mbps. If you've only got a 5mbps upload and you're running 6 cameras, that could be your problem right there. 

Message 2 of 3
ZMBridge
Aspirant

Re: Network improvement suggestions

Thanks for responding. Sorry, I have 7 cameras

1. what cameras are you using?

Amcrest Ultra bullet 4K (2), 1080p PTZ (2), 4mp PTZ (1), 4MP Hikvison fixed(1), 2MP Hikvision turrent fixed (1)

2. Are you using a poe switch to power your camera's? What one?

- Amcrest Gigabit Uplink 9 port POE+ Ethernet Switch. Netgear POE

3. "start losing video" doesn't tell me much. Is it lagging while streaming through an app, what exactly is happening?

- Will get a limited resources available and a second later the video pops up.

- Blue Iris gets really slow. That may be due to not a fast enough processor i5 processor HP SFF PC.

4. If you disconnect all but 1 camera does it work on full resolution and frame rate? And then start adding camera's until it  doesn't?

- I will have to try this

5. What upload and download speeds do you pay for? What do you actually get?

- This is just local control. I send nothing out on the web.

6. What is model mesh system are you using?

Samsung ET-WV525KWGUS

7. Modem you're using?

Spectrum Business Cable modem

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7