× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network list _5Gext

Jimbo888
Tutor

Network list _5Gext

My network list shows my router and my router XXXXX_2Ext , but does not show _5Ext . My devices show the 5Gext and will connect to it but is open to anyone and

is not secured. How do I get it on my network list and secure it? I have tried factory reset ect and nothing seems to work . Thank you 

Message 1 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Network list _5Gext

Is your issue with a range extender rather than a router? What is the model number e.g. EX7000?

What do you mean when you say “My devices show the 5Gext”, what devices? What exactly does and does not list the ‘5Gext’?

Message 2 of 8
Jimbo888
Tutor

My netger extender ex6100. I can connect my wifi on cell phone and my devices show a conection to my router , 2G and 5G. but the 5G is open and not secure. the 5G used to show up on netgear genie in the list of connections but does not appear there now, but does show on my devices that I want

to connect to. Thanks for any help on this issue.

Message 3 of 8
Jimbo888
Tutor

My Netgear extender 6100 seems to work fine . The problem is when I connect a phone or a wifi laptop to the the extender my 5Gext is not secure. and is open . When I bring up the list of wifi connections on My PC when I open netgear Genie the only available connections are My router, and my router XXXXXXX_2Gext there is no _5Gext. listed . If I open a device say a cell phone or notebook there is a _5Gext listed and I can connect to it , but it is not secure it is open

Message 4 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the 5GHz band secured at the base station? In a wireless scan is the 5GHz band shown as an unseured network for both the extender and the router (base station)?

Message 5 of 8
Jimbo888
Tutor

My router shows secured and my 2Gext shows secured , but my G5ext shows open on mobile devices but . Also on my main  PC wndows 7 only recognizes  my router and 2Gext. does not list 5Gext. as a network connection . ????

Message 6 of 8
TheEther
Guru

It sounds like there are two issues.

1. Your PC's Wi-Fi adapter probably doesn't support 5 GHz. Do you know the model?
  2. You should log into your EX6100 and add a Wi-Fi password to the 5 GHz network.
Message 7 of 8
Jimbo888
Tutor

I have recently aquired another router and have my netgear extender working properly thanks for all help with my issues .  

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7