× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Fios GG1100 Gateway to Nighthawk Ex7000 AC1900

jayburn84
Tutor

New Fios GG1100 Gateway to Nighthawk Ex7000 AC1900

We just had our ISP's switched from Comcast to Verizon. The install wasn't bad, they ran their cable from the street to the basement to their Fios Box, I personally don't like the position down there but it's hardlined up to the Fios Router/Modem setup in the center of the house. Their Gateway Device (modem/router) is the Fios Quantum G1100 Gateway. It seems a little dinky but it's been pretty solid & reliable for it's first week. Besides a few random reboot the first few days everything has been consistent.

Since our new modem/gateway device is downstairs in the center of the house everyone is getting great WiFi all over. As for my room, I took my Nightawk Ex7000 from downstairs and installed it in my room. Linked it with the Fios Gateway Device via WiFi, and it grabs a strong signal which allows me to use the several hard lines ran into this room like 2 decades ago which fortunately saved us from having to run anymore. So I plugged my main PC in (since I have no WiFi card), and the 2 downstairs PC's, and I believe there are still 1 or 2 empty slots for the Playstation or any other devices if needed to be hardlined later.

The Nighthawk has really saved us a lot of hastle, I'm not a fan of gaming wireless, I'm hardlined into the Nighthawk and so far so good, each PC hardlined into the Nighthawk receives roughly 100/100MBps, usually a little higher but seems more consistent than the Comcast setup. Everything over WiFi flies, 300/300... crazy fast upload compared to our old ISP.. which I could live without, since I don't really upload much.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this Fios Quantum Gateway Device... is it reliable? Do they have better ones they didn't tell us about? Either way everything seems pretty stable, the Nighthawk has rarely lost signal, streaming TV is great and all, but I have lost connection momentarily on my PC (assuming the other 2 as well).. Most likely the Nighthawk losing the WiFi signal or something I am not sure, it receives a solid 5 bars from the Fios Router/Modem.

I am wondering if I can/should run a hardline from the new Fios Gateway Modem downstairs in center of the house up to my room to the Nighthawk, I believe we could do it rather easily. I personally just cannot stand any interuptions while gaming, whether I'm playing Diablo III or a First Person Shooter... My pings have been low (same as Comcast), Download speeds have been better, all through the Nighthawk w/ this hardline. I just want to make sure I'm connected 100% of the time, which means I should probably run a hardline from the new Fios Gateway to our Nighthawk... Question is, I can do that right?

Hoping for any advice, this process was less painful than anticipated, I'm so glad I purchased the Nighthawk about a year ago when everyone was complaining about the Wifi signal in our house, it resolved those issues extending the signal greatly. Now it's getting used as a router mostly for the hardlined devices... as everything WiFi can connect directly to the new Modem.

I also setup one of my N300 small adapters to an outlet next to the PC I use simply for media and browsing the web. It works amazing, I have had 0 disconnections or interuptions with it as it is in my room, but it is connected to the Fios Gateway via Wifi same as the Nighthawk is and I ran a short hardline from the N300 to that PC. I had it going through the Nighthawk at first, but decided to just skip it and go directly to the Fios Gateway. 5 bars, solid Upload/Download.. the N300's are amazing, always have been.. glad I purchased a few awhile back. The N300's are life savers. 

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender, WN3000RPv2|N300 WIFI Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
jayburn84
Tutor

Re: New Fios GG1100 Gateway to Nighthawk Ex7000 AC1900

So after reading some of the issues some had with the newest Firmware Version for the Ex7000 I decided to downgrade to V1.0.0.66_1.0.12. Upon doing so I redid the Smart Setup, stupidly forgetting to Unlock the 5Ghz for Ethernet Ports... Now I'm getting what we are supposed to with the 500/500Mbps (originally thought it was 300/300). So my main PC hardlined into the Ex7000 is getting on average 400/400+ Mbps on most speed tests.

I downgraded the firmware after reading the Sticky thread regarding a few individuals who had their Ex7000 losing connection randomly on their wireless devices. I personally am not using any wireless devices over the Nighthawk, I simply use it for the 2-3 PC's that we prefer to have hardlined in. I'm loving the speeds now, I just hope they are consistent.

I also hope I do not get any lag or disconnections while playing games online, I had a few issues playing some games where despite being hardlined into the Router, it would drop connection, generally reset pretty quickly (not 10min like some folks stated), but still.. any interruptions are unacceptable. I'll game away as much as I can, hopefully no disconnects or issues, everything seems to be running great for the time being...

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7