× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Router, Now I Can't Connect

Deuga2
Novice

New Router, Now I Can't Connect

Have a WN2000RPTv2 extender. It was working fine with my old router. Now have a new router and my pc can't find it to enable setup. I've tried all the possible setup options in the install guide but I cannot get to the mywifiext.net screen. WPS isn't an option for this router.

Message 1 of 6
LBear
Aspirant

We are having the same problem with the WP3000RP. It worked fine until we had to replace our router. Now we cannot connect and cannot access the www.mywifiext.net website. Laptops, iPad and iPhone can see the extender, we just can't sign in. We re-set the factory defaults and did a complete new set up which successfully completed all the steps - up until letting us connect. It continues to reject the password.

Calling customer service was useless. They kept insisting that we had to pay $130 for a one-year extension on the warranty before they would even talk with us. This is for an extender that I can purchase brand new for $50 and get an additional 2-year warranty for under $10. It was downright insulting and nothing but a sales pitch. They kept talking about all kinds of other support we would get that we did not need or want. When we asked to speak with a supervisor we were told to call another number and it turned out the number they gave us was the same one we were speaking with. The only thing accomplished was to sell us on finding another brand. We were not opposed to paying a reasonable fee for a service call to the help desk but it's extortion to ask us to pay more than twice the cost of a new product.

If anyone has a solution to the "new router - can't connect" problem I would sure appreciate hearing how you solved it!
Message 2 of 6
Finalrinse
Aspirant

Every time I get a new router I can't connect. My fix has always been to unplug my modem for a bit, then plug it back in, and then plug in your new router.
Message 3 of 6
lurzan
Novice

Deuga2, Reset the extender(press the reset button with a pin till the power light blinks for at least 8 times) and then reboot the router. When you look for wireless network in your computer to connect, it should detect the default wireless network of the extender(NETGEAR_EXT). So connect to this default network and then you should be able to open the extender gui either by www.mywifiext.net or 192168.1.250. Proceed with On-screen instruction to reconfigure the extender.
Message 4 of 6
lurzan
Novice

LBear, If the new router you have bought is a Netgear router, then you don't have to pay for the support. But if your new router is not a Netgear router and the extender is also out of free support warranty, then you will need to pay for the support. There are several support options but if you doesn't require 3rd party support options and just wants to fix the extender's issue, you can select the PPI option which will cost you $39.99 to fix one particular issue.
Message 5 of 6
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

LBear, please post a few more details;

What model was the old router?
What model is the new router?
Does the WP3000RP appear as an attached device in the new router’s admin pages?
Do you know the IP address allocated to the WP3000RP?
What kind of failure do you see at the connecting devices, any error messages?
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7