× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Newbie at this with scanning problem ....

Photo-Al
Aspirant

Newbie at this with scanning problem ....

I previously had a C7000 router and used the EX6100 Range Extender, and we just moved to a new home.  The ISP no longer supported the C7000 so I installed a C7800 Nighthawk, and while things are working really well in most cases, there is one where I'm having a problem.  Scanning from my Epson WF7610 no longer works and Epson says it is because the location of the printer is too far from the Router and/or there are walls/doors between the router and printer.  Hmmmm ... there ARE walls & doors between the router and printer, but the printer is closer to the router than it was to the C7000 in our old house.  (There were also walls and doors there, plus they were on different floors!)  I wanted to try the EX6100 to see if that would solve the problem.  I can see the EX6100 Extender in my network connection list, but it won't connect.  I've tried the default password on the back of the Extender, and I've tried the network password of the C7800 Nighthawk, but not luck.  Will the EX6100 work with the C7800?  Do I need to do some kind of reset to get the two to talk with each other?  I'm lost.  I will appreciate any help.  (I'm also real new at this and not a techie sort of person ... so please be tender and use small words.  Thanks in advance.

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router, EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is loaded on the EX?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and extender(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

The EX7700 would be more preferred to match the wireless connection rates with the C7800 than the EX6100 can do.

Message 2 of 4
Photo-Al
Aspirant

I don't know the firmware on EX6100 ... not sure how to tell.  I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow morning.

Home is appx 2800 sq ft.  EX was about 15-18 ft from the C7800, and the printer I was trying to scan from is about 15 -18 ft from the EX (EX is approx at mid-point between printer and router.)  All on the same floor.  EX is in a hallway to the room (office) where printer is located.  There is also a printer downstairs approx. 25 ft from router that was scanning ok.  Router is also providing Tivo access to upstars and downstairs tv sets (downstairs is approx 30 ft from router).  House is typical wooden structure built in 2005.

The cable guy when installing the cable in the home said that the use of a range extender would siphon off approx half the bandwith of the system so the transfer speeds would suffer.  Is that an accurate comment?  (I hope I'm saying it correctly, or that you understand what I mean ...)

I will look at Amazon to see about an EX7700.  

I have no idea what all the letters and numbers mean in your second part of the message (My Setup).  I am photographer and bookkeeper, so tech stuff like this is way beyond my skill level.

Message 3 of 4
Photo-Al
Aspirant

Question:   The only power source in the hallway is an outlet, so I'm wondering if the EX7500 (AC2200) would be an acceptable solution.  The EX7700 appears to be desktop and I don't have that possibility near the midpoint.  There was some comment in the Netgear description of the 7500 that seemed to address my question of splitting the bandwith and that it shouldn't be an issue ...????

Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series