× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Newby Needs Help Selecting PRoduct

jweir43
Follower

Newby Needs Help Selecting PRoduct

I'm a microwave circuit design engineer, so I can talk tech passably well. HOWEVER, I do NOT talk networking as a native language and will probably ask a few dumb questions to start with.

Here is the situation. The closest DSL is in a neighbor's building almost exactly 600' away. He has given me permission to have the phone company install my own personal DSL line and he has also generously offered me the use of standard wall plug power, 24/7 for a modem or other device. This is a small community and we often scratch each other's backs.

I can't dig a trench through an adjacent property to run cat-5 so I've got to get that DSL signal from his place to mine wirelessly. I can shoot the signal out a glass window from his place and if necessary I can put an external antenna on my house. I can't put an external antenna on his building.

THe question is how to get that DSL signal from his place to mine? Complicating the fact is that although the terrain between us goes down into a gully and we are on the top of the hills on either side of that gully, there is a relatively thick stand of evergreens between us - mostly cedar and pine.

There is also a small barn about 100' from my house with power and we could use that as an intermediate relay point if necessary.

Where do I start looking and how do I do the test to see if the transmission path is even possible?

Thanks,

Jim
Message 1 of 2
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Newby Needs Help Selecting PRoduct

You need some external antenna capable unit

http://www.engeniustech.com

you have better luck with unit units
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats