× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Night Hawk WiFi Range Extender AC1900

Jools1208
Follower

Night Hawk WiFi Range Extender AC1900

I have a customer who uses Virgin Media broadband and a couple of years ago I supplied him with a Night Hawk Wi-Fi range extender which was installed at the opposite end of his large split level house from the location of the Virgin router, it connected to the Virgin router via a couple of plug top devices utilising the mains voltage wiring in the house and it was configured as an Access Point. He was happy with this arrangement and for the most part it covered the house with a very good to good signal. But recently he has been talking to a friend and as a result expressed an interest in changing the arrangement so that there was a single Wi-Fi broadcast name and so that he would not have to swap between the connection provided by the Virgin Wi-fi and the connection provided by the NightHawk when moving around his house. To satisfy his request, I suggested that we could re-locate the Night Hawk to the first floor of the house and connect it to the Virgin router via a UTP cable. Set it up as an access point, switch off the Virgin media wi-fi signal and then install a further Night Hawk on the ground floor also connected to the Virgin router via UTP. I thought that it would be OK to have the two access points set up with the same SSID but no matter what configuration I try the two access points do not work together. Upstairs the signal is good and quite stable but downstairs the signal works, drops out, works drops out. Sometimes it works for hours at a time sometimes for just a few minutes, sometimes not at all.

Any advice as to how I might resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.   

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Night Hawk WiFi Range Extender AC1900

Hi Jools1208, 

The extenders in AP mode wired to the router shouldn't have an issue. You may need to switch out the cables or possibly try other ports on the router. 

~Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7