× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 EX 7000 wifi booster - Connection Issues

bg99
Tutor

Nighthawk AC1900 EX 7000 wifi booster - Connection Issues

Im hoping someone can give me direction on this issue; I have the Nighthawk wifi extender AC1900 EX7000, it connects to my router but once connected the extender keeps dropping either the 5g or the 2.4g connection or when I try to connect a device it wont connect. I connect with my surface or phone and it tells me no internet connection, but the Router it's connected to is working fine. I have tried everything.

The 2.4g light is green, the 5g light is green, the double arrow light is green.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
bg99
Tutor

Ok, I still had some connection issues after the firmware upgrade, I decided to do bit more digging and deceided to see if my router with the issue. Yes, it was! I have a Hintron Coda 4589(wavecable) and I guess they are quriky when it comes to extnenders. I saw a few sights where people were complaining about this same issue with there Hintron router (where the extender was not staying connected) They found settings that worked for my router, It was in the wireless security. The settings needed to be on Auto for WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. This seems to have fixed the connection with my router and my devices that connected to the extender. Thank you netgear and community, just takes a bit of investigation. I do want to get a third party router any suggestions would be great. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bg99,

Welcome to the community!

1. What is the firmware version of the extender?

2. Have you tried resetting the router?

3. Does the extender appear as an attached device on the UI of the router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 8
bg99
Tutor

Hello Dexter,

Thank you for your response,

1) I have the current firmware, when I installed it the first time I did update the firmware, should be the recent one. 

2) Yes, I have re-set the router about 4x already, I did a hard reset (red button) twice.

3) I make sure the extender is near my router when I set it up,  then I take it to where it needs to be (about 15 feet from the router)

4) I have checked the wireless settings on my router (Radio channel, Mhz, and 802.11) Settings. I've mixed it up just to see what will work.

The odd thing is that it will work for a few days, then I have to re-boot the extender because I am not able to connnect any of my devices. I have 1 gig of speed on my router (Hintron 4589 Wavecable),  I think that should be enough.

I did a hard re-set yesterday, and it seems to be working now, but when I try to get on the website mywifiext to check my connection, it tells me to set up a new extender, I try to input the info but it boots me back to the set up new extender page. Now I can't get on the mywifiext page to check my connections. Very odd.   So, if I wanted to update the firmware I cant' from the mywifiext because it is stuck on the Set up new extender page.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. I have some knoweldge of what to do but not enough to fix it. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 8
DerekMS
Aspirant

My Extender LED lights won't stay on.

Message 4 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bg99,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DerekMS,

Welcome to the community!

Please provide more information regarding your setup (model number and firmware) and the steps that you have taken. Also, it is best to start a new thread especially if it is a different issue for others to contribute and help out.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 8
bg99
Tutor

Thank you, I got a call from Netgear support and he walked me through a solution, so far so good, we did needed to upgrade to the latest firmware, so I'm hoping this will take care it, Netgear support was great.

Message 7 of 8
bg99
Tutor

Ok, I still had some connection issues after the firmware upgrade, I decided to do bit more digging and deceided to see if my router with the issue. Yes, it was! I have a Hintron Coda 4589(wavecable) and I guess they are quriky when it comes to extnenders. I saw a few sights where people were complaining about this same issue with there Hintron router (where the extender was not staying connected) They found settings that worked for my router, It was in the wireless security. The settings needed to be on Auto for WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. This seems to have fixed the connection with my router and my devices that connected to the extender. Thank you netgear and community, just takes a bit of investigation. I do want to get a third party router any suggestions would be great. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7