× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC1900 Model R7000 Won't connect to internet

jMather
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 Model R7000 Won't connect to internet

Hi Guys,

Need a little help.

I have just purchased a Nighthawk X4 AC2200 EX7300-100NAS range extender / Access Point.  I have it in Access Point mode, connected to my router(Asus RT-AC66U) via CAT5e cable.  

From my Win10 desktop, I can connect to the Nighthawk and run the setup routines.

From my wireless device (a MS surface pro 3), I can easily connect to the Nighthawk and access files on my file servers and my desktops, no problems.

But I cannot connect my wireless devices to the internet (also although my android cell phone states it's connected to a wifi , but has no internet connection).

I have tried rebooting everything and restarting from first modem, 2nd router and third Nighthawk.  No joy.

On my router, I have been using a private DNS, but have also tried using the Google public DNS 8.8.8.8.  No joy.

Suggestions Please !!

Thank you in advance

JH

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 Wall-plug Range Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
jMather
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Model R7000 Won't connect to internet

I think I've solved it !

The command   sudo=apt-get purge isc-dhp-server   seems to have done the trick.  

I've had no issues connecting for the last few hours, so I'm going to call this problem SOLVED.

Thank you all.

JH

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

This is an interesting situation.  You can access files on local machines, which implies that you are getting an IP address.  Can you ping the Asus router as well as Google?

Do you have any access controls enabled on the Asus that could be preventing your devices from accessing the Internet?

Message 2 of 5
jMather
Aspirant

Well,

After several days of tinkering around, I discovered the problem.  

I have a file server in my basement running Ubuntu 16.04.  When it's on (pretty much 24/7), it asserts itself as the IPv4 DHCP server.  When it's shutdown, my router takes back over as the DHCP server.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to keep my linux machine from hijacking my router ?

Thanks

JH

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Probably best to ask on a Ubuntu forum or Google for ubuntu disable service.  This link seems to cover the most common methods (link).

Message 4 of 5
jMather
Aspirant

I think I've solved it !

The command   sudo=apt-get purge isc-dhp-server   seems to have done the trick.  

I've had no issues connecting for the last few hours, so I'm going to call this problem SOLVED.

Thank you all.

JH

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7