× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC2200 x6

Riddler0712
Tutor

Nighthawk AC2200 x6

All, I am new to this, but have set up my extender as an access point, plugged directly into Cat6 Ethernet running at 350gbps fibre, yet the max WiFi speed obtained from the access point on 5ghz channel is a disappointing 86gbps.

isnthere anything in the settings that would help dial this up, or do I accept that this hardware is not designed as an AP and will never pull the full fibre speed?

basically what I am asking is should I buy a dedicated AP, instead of pretending my extender it is an AP, or can I tweak what I have for more speed.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC2200 x6

Are you using smart connect on the EX7700?

If so, it'll steer devices between the 2.4ghz, and the 2x 5ghz channels. 

If you're device is on 2.4ghz, thats about what you can expect for speeds because 2.4ghz is a slow network.

But the 5ghz should be faster. 

So what band are you connected to when you're speedtesting?

Message 2 of 6
Riddler0712
Tutor

Hi there Thankyou for the response. No I switched off the smart setup and went straight for the 5ghz option. So the device is only connected to that one, nothing else.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

What speeds are you getting over each of the following? 

1. wired into the EX7700?

2. 2.4ghz on the ex7700?

3. 5ghz-1 on the ex7700?

4. 5ghz-2 on the ex7700?

how are you testing speeds? (device, app, browser, ect)
have you tried other devices? 

Message 4 of 6
Riddler0712
Tutor

I use Speedtest by ookla for consistency across all devices and locations.

I have not tried a wired connection into the 7700, only wireless on my iPad.

2.4ghz around 12 to 16 mbps

5ghz 1 around 88 to 92 mbps, and same for connection 2

downstairs on wireless from same iPad, and ookla, I am pulling 350 to 360 mbps

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Riddler0712 wrote:

I use Speedtest by ookla for consistency across all devices and locations.

I have not tried a wired connection into the 7700, only wireless on my iPad.-----Try a wired connection. I'm suspecting the extender is only connecting at fast ethernet speeds (10/100mbps) and not the gigabit its capable of. If wired is only 92-96mbps, try replacing the cable between the extender and the router. Or if its a in-wall cable, move the extender next to the router and use a known good 6ft cat 5E or great cable to test it with. 

2.4ghz around 12 to 16 mbps---2.4ghz is a slow network. You might be able to improve this with switching channels on it. 

5ghz 1 around 88 to 92 mbps, and same for connection 2----again, suspecting that its limited by what its connecting to the router at. If its only connect at faster ethernet speeds, then I'd be suspecting the cable. 

downstairs on wireless from same iPad, and ookla, I am pulling 350 to 360 mbps

Test its wired speeds. 

Then if its still hitting only that 100mbps ish speed, move the extender to right by the router and use a known good cable. I've seen to many sketchy cat 5e cables that don't connect at gigabit speeds. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7