× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX8 (EAX80) ReadySHARE USB HDD cannot write from MacOS

ErikHaj
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX8 (EAX80) ReadySHARE USB HDD cannot write from MacOS

Hello,

This is my fist post in this community.

Recently I purchased Netgear Nighthawk AX8 (EAX80) extender to bring physical ports (LAN and USB) to other room, than my primary router (RAX120) is placed. In case of LAN ports it is working very well. Connection is stable, I can access connected device when connected to my WiFi network created by RAX120, no issues at all. But I also wanted to leverage the USB port to use it with my Lacie 1big Thunderbolt 3 10TB HDD and here comes my problem.

I can access the HDD via smb protocol from Mac computer, but I cannot write to that HDD. Previously I had same HDD, same file format (HFS) connected to my RAX120's USB port and I had no issues. I was able to read and write to this HDD when connected from the same computer via smb.

When I'm trying to write some file now when HDD is connected to the USB port of my AX8 extender, I'm getting below Finder error:

"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

At this point I tried everything... Changing the length of the Extender admin password (less than 12 characters), put all folders on this HDD to one main folder and share it via AX8's web interface, turn on password protection, checked and changed permissions to main folder, ...

I have the newest firmware installed on AX8.

Hardware Version: EAX80

Firmware Version: V1.0.1.70_1.0.2

I was able to find this information, but I would like to get confirmation if this really the root cause of my issue in case of AX8 extender.

"NETGEAR home routers which support Time Machine will support read/write for HFS+ (Journaled) file system.
For those routers not supporting Time Machine, you have only read privilege."

Anyone experienced the same? Am I doing something wrong? I would appreciate any help. I also opened the case with Netgear support and spent a lot of time on the chat with them, but it did not help.

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 2
ErikHaj
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk AX8 (EAX80) ReadySHARE USB HDD cannot write from MacOS

So after several weeks I finally received final confirmation from NETGEAR regarding this issue.

"Apparently this current issue you are experiencing is a product limitation of the EAX80 and another model of extender EAX20 that we have. The issue is with the compatibility of these extenders with the HFS and HFS+ file formats and file transferring issues. This is due to the chipset and the open source code function that the EAX80 is using which does not support the feature.

I had confirmed that other than HFS and HFS+ the following file system types are compatible with the EAX80 (read & write):
FAT16, FAT32

NTFS

NTFS with compression format enabled

Ext2, Ext3, Ext4

XFS

"

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation