× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX8 Extender is creating extremely slow wifi

ssaibal
Follower

Nighthawk AX8 Extender is creating extremely slow wifi

I have a Apple Extreme router connected to the Gigabit Xfinity wifi modem. So, I have both Xfinity wifi as well as the wifi SSID created by the Apple router. During the installation of the AX8 to extend the wifi range and performance, I tested the download speed with Speedtest app on my iPhone connected to the Xfinity wifi and again to the Apple wifi. Both reported a speed of ~350-400 mbps. When I enabled the Netgear AX8, it never showed "white" color connection LED, signifying "Best Connection" as per the user manual. It showed Amber which means "Good Connection". And it was able to setup both the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz network extension. The color never changed to white even when the extender was just a couple of feet away from the Apple or Xfinity routers. I verified that it was running the latest firmware.

After enabling the Netgear wifi extender, when I reconnect to wife standing very close to the extender, I get a download speed of 10-20 mbps. It seems to block the wifi, not improve it. Is this unit a lemon (no error codes) or is this just all marketing talk and no real performance? Is there a way I can debug this definitively? The Netgear app shows no performance info. Shouldn't such a product have tools to measure it's performance or is this classic example of lazy engineering? I expected this from a fly-by-night operator from China, but Netgear???

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
trcns
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk AX8 Extender is creating extremely slow wifi

I am having the same problem, any advise?

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7