× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 - DHCP Address Reservation not Working

insomniak
Guide

Nighthawk D7000 - DHCP Address Reservation not Working

I've recently purchased the XR500 + EX8000 combo to replace my Orbi. With the Orbi, i was able to use the DHCP to reserve IP addresses to specific devices via MAC Address IP Reservation. However, with this new setup, I'm seeing that devices connected to the extender are being assigned a virtual MAC Address. When the device is roaming between the router and extender, then it can be using two different MAC Addresses. 

The issue here being that the XR500 only allows you to assign an IP Address to a single MAC Address. How do i go about assigning the IP Address to multiple MAC Address to take into account the virtual MAC Addresses being assigned on the router side. Want to avoid manually assigning static IP's through each individual device since the feature is possible on the router. Would want to avoid any IP address collision because of this. 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @insomniak,

Welcome to the community!

The links below may help out in setting up the virtual MAC of the devices that you are looking to connect.

https://kb.netgear.com/24806/

https://kb.netgear.com/26262/

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 3
insomniak
Guide

Hi Dexter,

Thanks for the links below and also i'm not sure why the title is for the D7000 and what i have is the EX8000. Thank you for your suggestion below but that doesn't necessarily help with my issue. I don't use MAC filtering but even if i do, I wouldn't be able to assign a static IP to a device that has multiple MAC Addresses with Virtual MAC Addresses since the router i have (XR500) only allows an IP address to be assigned to a single MAC Address. In the suggestion below, a device would have multiple MAC Addresses even if MAC Filtering was enabled.

To further explain, i don't have issues with devices that are hardwired directly into the router as I'm able to assign a static IP through the router as there is no virtual MAC Address. Issue only occurs when i have computers or cameras that are connected through the extender. This is when the Virtual MAC Address is assigned and if they move back and forth between the wireless bands and obtains different MAC Addresses, then my IP reservation for the MAC Address is lost.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7