× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk EAX20 Extender set up -- but doesn't recognize it is

Sandshark
Sensei

Nighthawk EAX20 Extender set up -- but doesn't recognize it is

I got tired of a dead spot in my home addition and added an EAX20 extender to fix that.  Setting it up via the app worked as expected, until the last step.  In fact, it clearly is set up, but the app doesn't recognize that it is.

I skipped setting up a 2.4GHz network.  If that's the issue, the Netgear has a big bug to fix.

After I set up the 5GHz network, it went to change my network from NETGEAR_EXT to my network, which it accomplished (verified in my phone's WiFi settings, by 100% signal strength were it would otherwise be <10%, valid Internet access, and all LEDs white except 2.4GHz).  But it just kept trying to verify the connection (to the 5GHz SSID).  So I exited the app and entered it again.  It then said my extender wasn't set up and wants to try again.  No option to go to the dashboard.  It goes through the steps of where to place it, plug it in, etc. then it wants to connect to "your extender's wifi network" (which it only specifies is NETGEAR_EXT after it fails to connect), but NETGEAR_EXT is not even listed when I'm right next to the extender (presumably because it is set up and leaving it open would allow free access to the dashboard).

So, how do i get past this to get to the dashboard and make sure the firmware is the latest, etc?

I'm running the app on a Google Pixel 4a with Android 11, if that matters.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk EAX20 Extender set up -- but doesn't recognize it is

Is there a reason you're skipping setting up the 2.4ghz?

Have you tried using a pc/laptop for setup?  (I'm not a fan of the app setup process)

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I am skipping the 2.4 GHz because it's got my security cameras on it and I don't need anything else on it when 5GHz is mostly unused and everything that needs WiFi in the area the extender will service is 5GHz capable.  The unit came with no instructions for setting it up via anything other than the app.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I am skipping the 2.4 GHz because it's got my security cameras on it and I don't need anything else on i-----Never know if it'll help or not. If you set it up with the mesh options (onessid) your security cameras might stay connected to the router or the extender depending on their roaming protocol. I've been pleasantly surprised when my 2.4ghz worked better with an extender running.  It when 5GHz is mostly unused and everything that needs WiFi in the area the extender will service is 5GHz capable. If you've got the capability, spreading devices around (even security cameras) has usually been beneficial to my network.  The unit came with no instructions for setting it up via anything other than the app.----I wish Netgear did a better job of showing the other installation methods. It seems like everytime the app gets updated to fix an issue, it breaks something else. That's why I prefer using the installation assistant. The other half the time, people use WPS and you see ISP supplied devices not coded properly so the extenders not functioning properly. 

here's a video on using the assistant. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVklshxBMk

And the support site with the manual that goes over it. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/eax20.aspx

Let me know how the EAX20 works for you. I've got the EX8000 and love the dedicated backhaul. I haven't used any of the EAX line of extenders to see how they compare to the tribands. 

Message 4 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Thanks for the pointer to the manual.  I suppose I should have looked for one first, but I still would have had questions.

The instructions for using the web interface for set-up included having to connect to SSID NETGEAR_EXT, which was no longer active.  But I just guessed that I could use http://<extender’s IP address>, as suggested for Android devices and do so via Ethernet (on my home network, not directly connected to it).  It went well until it said I had to connect to the device via WiFi.  I checked my main router, and the IP address for the extender had changed, in fact it had three (at least three reserved, some my be waiting to expire), and I tried them until I found the right one.  So it was not necessary to be on WiFi at all, though you do have to jump through hoops in uncharted territory to do so.  I now have a device that knows it's set up, and I've moved forward with a firmware update, turning off the 2.4GHz, etc.  It was a royal PITA to get past the extended warranty offer and such, but I've done it.

It did actually duplicate my 5GHz SSID on 2.4GHz, where my 2.4GHz normally has a separate one.  I don't know if that has anything to do with the issue I forst saw, but it might.  I was actually mistaken that the 2.4GHz LED was the one that was off -- it was the Ethernet LED.  You would think that Netgear would reailize that if you choose to not connect to a 2.4GHz network that the default should be that the unit operates on 5HGz only.

As for your suggestions on my network configuration, you obviously have a main router that is mesh capable.  Mine is not, so the extender works in a different manner, basically doubling the bandwidth necessary for anything that goes through the extender.  Moving things that currently work perfectly well without the extender to it just doesn't make sense.  If I could disable connection to my main router via 2.4GHz but still leave 2.4GHz on, I assume that would shift the burden of 2.4GHz devices connected to the extender to 5GHz on the main router, which could be nice.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Single/dual band extenders by their very nature do cut throughput in half and increase latency. 

For most security camera's this shouldn't be much of an issue as there's usually already a lag/decrease FPS.

I've never used that specific extender (or any of the EAX extenders) so I'm not sure if disabling the 2.4ghz connection to the router just puts the backhaul burden on the 5ghz or not. That'd actually be better in my optinion as the 5ghz has more capability/bandwidth to tolerate the speed impact. @DarrenM or @Christian_R might be a better resource in terms of the capabilities of the EAX line and how it impacts it. 

Sadly, I'm one of the few who help on the extenders forums 🙂 

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Disabling the 2.4GHz radio does, obviously, shift all the burden to 5GHz.  But I'm going to investigate another possible solution.  It does have the capability to use what they call "Fastlane" where one channel is the backhaul and the other connects to the devices.  If I choose 5GHz as the backhaul and 2.4GHz for the devices, that changes things.  Devices that cannot see the main router will no longer be able to connect to 5GHz, but maybe that works for me.  If the main router 5GHz and extender 2.4GHz have the same SSID and that allows devices to switch between them as they would on 5GHz on both, then I can even assign some cameras (which have no 5GHz capability) to that SSID, shifting their burden to 5GHz on the main router.  I have different SSIDs for the main router frequencies because I don't want my cell phone or laptop to ever use it's 2.4GHz, so don't have them set up to try that SSID.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Fastlane has its uses. 

I'm not a huge fan of it as I try my best to have the majority of my devices on 5ghz. 

but if you're primarily wanting fast/stable 2.4ghz, using the 5ghz is a good option. 

Just seems a bit of a waste of the 5ghz unless you truly need the fastest 2.4ghz possible. 

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

What I needed, and currently am getting from the EAX20, is any access at all in an addition to my home.  I disabled 2.4GHz on it because I have reserved that for devices that have no 5GHz, which is mostly my security cameras.  Any camera that couldn't see the original router is hardwired, but some wireless could likely see the extender as a stronger signal.  I could also add some (though I don't think I really need them) without new hardwires.   If any of them decided to connect to the extender, their throughput would be affected, so I disabled 2.4GHz.  Now I'm trying to see if there is a better way to set up the extender and take full advantage of it's capabilities.  My cameras are not on internal motion detection (it's done by the monitoring software) and the go nuts in a rain storm (which happens a lot here in Florida in the summer) because the compression becomes less efficient, and most are 1080p, so making sure there's enough bandwidth is important.

I discovered the value of a good camera system, when I sent a burglar to prison for 39 months.  I've seen some crappy pics from convenience stores on the news where you couldn't ID the perp.  One look at my videeo, and his lawyer went right to wanting a plea bargain.  It wasn't the crap he expected.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7