× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk EX7700 installing 2 extenders less than 30 feet from main wifi router

ABTWM
Aspirant

Nighthawk EX7700 installing 2 extenders less than 30 feet from main wifi router

I wanted to upgrade my wifi extenders and the signal performance, but since installing the 2 x Nighthawk EX7700 extenders as access points at each end of the house the wifi signal is dropping.  I cant expand the distance of each Nighthawk EX700 any further, are they conflicting each other because they are too close?

Or should I set them up as simply wifi extenders broadcasting the same signal as the main wifi router?

Or should I set these Nighthawk EX700 extenders to broadcast a new wifi signal and forget about the main wifi router in the middle of the house?

Please help to advise and resolve!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk EX7700 installing 2 extenders less than 30 feet from main wifi router

Are you daisy chaining or star configuration? 

Daisy:   Router----->EX7700--->EX7700

Star:  EX7000<------Router----->ex7700

In my experience, whenever you have more than a single extender on a network, you'll get the best results with seperate ssid's. Its kind of a pain having to manually switch networks but it tends to work the best. Especially if you're running in access point mode. 

What building material is your house made of?

Message 2 of 4
ABTWM
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk EX7700 installing 2 extenders less than 30 feet from main wifi router

I was installing as a star, but it looks like the EX7700 are too close to each other and this is causing the drop outs.

So best to install these as 2 seperate SSID's or do i set the 2 x EX700's with the one SSID for both of these and the main router stays with its current SSID?

I think it might be better to use the EX7700 as extenders rather than access points, i dont need the ethernet ports so this might help.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I'd try several different settings and see what works best for your situation and stability. 

If you're running them in AP mode, I'd use seperate ssid's.

If you're using extender mode you could try them all with the same ssid. I've occassionally seen issues with this though. An option is to leave one extender with the same ssid as the router. Or the extenders with the same ssid's and router different. Several different things to try to optimize for your network.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7