× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk EX7700 loosing settings

Colinclement
Tutor

Nighthawk EX7700 loosing settings

Hi my Nighthawk EX7700 looses its settings if my router drops like if I reboot it. I then have to reset the unit and set up again. Is this a known fault. Thank you. Colin. Uk
Message 1 of 12
Colinclement
Tutor

Just to add this is my configuration I have read that this could be a problem with the firmware or the flash drive. Whichever it is the responsibility of Netgear and I expect some sort of answer asap.

Message 2 of 12
Colinclement
Tutor

Can someone please help me. I need to fix the flash issue on my EX7700.
Message 3 of 12
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Colinclement,

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry for not being able to get back to you immediately. May we know what is the current firmware of the extender? The issue only happens when the router is rebooted, correct? Also when you say the extender loses its settings, did you mean that the extender return to default settings? If yes, do you see the default wireless name of the extender( NETGEAR_EXT)? You may also try uploading a different firmware version to your extender to isolate if this is a firmware issue.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061572/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-WiFi-Extender

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 4 of 12
Colinclement
Tutor

Hi Oliver

Thank you for reaching out to me. The firmware is 226 which is exactly the same as my other unit which is the same model that I use in another part of the house so it can’t be software ! You say try a different version but this is not something I can do from the app. That just updates to latest version. If I reboot with either the app, or power button the unit comes back on eventually with no lights on and does not show on the app. This is definitely a hardware issue but I know you are the expert. I appreciate your help and advice. Regards. Colin.

Message 5 of 12
Colinclement
Tutor

Hi Oliver I have replied.
Message 6 of 12
Colinclement
Tutor

Hi Oliver

More information
Message 7 of 12
Colinclement
Tutor

Hi Oliver

More info
Message 8 of 12
Colinclement
Tutor

Hi Oliver I have just purchased another Ex7700 and it works fine. It remembers the settings when I power it off and back on again. It has the same firmware as the faulty one that looses its settings when I power it off and back on again. Is there an address I can send the faulty one to for you to debug ? And finally fix this well reported issue.

Thank you

Colin.Clement@hotmail.com
Message 9 of 12
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Colinclement,

Thank you for the information. Please contact our Support team over the phone(  0344 875 4000) so they can do a hardware check. If the issue is hardware and if your extender is still on hardware warranty, we will proceed with the replacement.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 10 of 12
calia1120
Initiate

It's a known issue with earlier hardware - ran into it myself. Firmware rollback solved the problem for me, make sure to avoid the .210 as well because it has the same problem - https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX7700-keeps-factory-resetting-every...
Message 11 of 12
Colinclement
Tutor

Hi Oliver thank you for your reply, unfortunately my device is over a year old so I have no warranty but find it father shocking that it is a known issue but you only fix if a user happens to discover the problem whilst it is still in warranty. This would be an interesting storyline for a newspaper! Can you please tell me what you charge to fix the issue or the cost if you sold me the part and I installed it myself? The serial number is 5HX1895X00239.

Thank you

Colin Clement
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7