× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Mesh 60 How to choose which frequency to connect to?

DWPend
Tutor

Nighthawk Mesh 60 How to choose which frequency to connect to?

Netgear Nighthawk Mesh 60. My devices connect randomly to either the 2.4GHZ or 5 GHZ of the router. I need to choose which devices connect to which frequency. Does anyone know how to do this?

David

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Mesh 60 How to choose which frequency to connect to?

Again, AX1800 is a speed, not a model. Look at the label on the box/device.

(probably the MK62)

The phone needs to be connected to 2.4ghz for setup (lazy coding on the shark people to require this).

something you can try. 

1. turn the broadcast power on the 5ghz radio down to 25%

2. disable its ssid broadcast

3. disconnect your phone from the wifi and move a room or 2 away. Then reconnect. It (hopefully) should connect to the 2.4ghz. Then you can setup the shark. Once setup, you can turn broadcast power back up and re-enable ssid broadcast. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What actual model do you have? 
if its a mesh device it should do bandsteering. Meaning the device itself steers between 2.4ghz and 5ghz as needed based on bandwidth, distance, rssi strengths

Message 2 of 7
DWPend
Tutor

Thanks for responding. The model according to the box is AX1800. The reason I wish to assign the frequency I connect to is because my Shark IQRobot vacuum will only connect to 2.4MH and not 5MH. The connection appears to go through my phone (via the APP)to give the robot instructions and when my phone connects to 5MH the robot does not respond. I have a Galaxy S-9 phone, Android of course,however I cannot find a setting on the phone either to instruct it to only connect to 2.4MH wifi. I was hoping that the router could determine connection speeds by my selection.

Thanks, David

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Again, AX1800 is a speed, not a model. Look at the label on the box/device.

(probably the MK62)

The phone needs to be connected to 2.4ghz for setup (lazy coding on the shark people to require this).

something you can try. 

1. turn the broadcast power on the 5ghz radio down to 25%

2. disable its ssid broadcast

3. disconnect your phone from the wifi and move a room or 2 away. Then reconnect. It (hopefully) should connect to the 2.4ghz. Then you can setup the shark. Once setup, you can turn broadcast power back up and re-enable ssid broadcast. 

Message 4 of 7
DWPend
Tutor

Thanks. I will give your suggestions a try.

David

Message 5 of 7
DWPend
Tutor

Your suggestion of moving farther away so that my phone reconnects from the 5MH to the 2.4MH works and fixed my issue.Thanks again.

David

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7