× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Mesh MK63 Slow Wireless Speeds

PaP024
Follower

Nighthawk Mesh MK63 Slow Wireless Speeds

I recently bought the Nighthawk Mesh MK63 system and installed it in a two-story, two bedroom house (<2000 sq ft). I have 1 GB internet throught AT&T Uverse and confirmed via speed test that the PACE 5268ac modem is receiving those speeds and outputting it through one of the ethernet ports through a CAT6 cable (which was plugged into the Nighthawk router).

Unfortunately, the modem is setup in the far end of the house in the laundry room and there is coax rather than ethernet running through the entire house. I bought this system to boost the wifi speed upstairs so that I can start working from home in the spare bedroom rather than at the kitchen table (which is 10 ft from the modem).

I have gone through all the troubleshooting steps I could find online, the Nighthawk router and PACE modem had different IP addresses/ranges, the Nighthawk router was configured in the DMZ+ setting, the modem Wifi was disabled, IPv6 was disabled, etc. I even got our Uverse cable service to work when connected directly to the Nighthawk router rather than the PACE modem.

No matter what I've tried, the signal strength seems to be terrible both downstairs and upstairs. Downstairs, the smart tv slows to a crawl and Netflix and other streaming services take forever to load and the image quality is terrible when they do start playing. This is significantly worse than it was with just the PACE router.

I realized that was partly because the smart tv was connecting to the satellite I placed upstairs, but even after unplugging both satellites, the improvement in speed/image quality was marginal.

The signal strength/speed upstairs was extremely slow as well even when standing right next to and connected via ethernet to the satellite.

I'm not sure what else to try here or if this is even the right system to accomplish my goal of boosting the signal strength upstairs so that two people can work from home without issue. Wifi traffic otherwise is pretty standard, a couple of smart tvs, two laptops, two smartphones, one Xbox that I don't even use to play online. No gaming or other bandwidth intensive activities.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7