× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk Mesh WIFI 6 MK62 - can this be used with a TPG modem router -TPLINK AC1600

deepkd
Aspirant

Nighthawk Mesh WIFI 6 MK62 - can this be used with a TPG modem router -TPLINK AC1600

Can i used this Nighhawk product with a modem router that my provider TPG have give me which is a TP - Link ARCHER VR1600v AC1600?

I have been told it should be fine but failure to set it up and speaking to Netgear i am told this is not the case.

Whilst trying to set up using the app i have connected router to my modem socket LAN (and tried all others ports for fun) but the APP keep asking me to retry. Amber light is flashing on router.

The issue i am trying to fix is - numerous drop outs on TPG FTTB connection i am on the fastest avaialble and i am trying to find a product that can help me sort out drop considering the speedtest can be excellent one minute and terrible another. 

Help anyone know netgear sales who can help?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Mesh WIFI 6 MK62 - can this be used with a TPG modem router -TPLINK AC1600

You can. But it causes a double nat. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

to fix it you would need to do 1 of 3 things. 

1. put the tplink in passthrough/modem only mode

2. put the netgears IP address into the tplink's DMZ

3. put the netgear in AP (access point) mode. 

These would fix the double nat. only use 1. 

Message 2 of 5
deepkd
Aspirant

Thank you Mate.
My technical knowledge is limited soo I’m going to investigate your options.
I also have the option to return the mesh device and but something else which can resolve the issue and not having the do the things you have suggested. Basically looking for the easiest option that will help drop outs.
Message 3 of 5
deepkd
Aspirant

If i choose to keep this product will the support team help me set it up on my current TPLink? i am not technical so i am finding it hard to work out. BUT I am also very frustrated as my internet is soo poor even though TPG are saying its fine.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Even returning it for something else might run into the same issue as you're still cascading routers and causing a double nat. 

New devices do come with 90 days of free support. Simply click on "mynetgear" at the top. register an account and the device. From there you should be able to contact support for using the free 90 days. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7