× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Mesh or Orbi

jpgb
Tutor

Nighthawk Mesh or Orbi

Hello

I have a Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router(R7000) and the Extender EX7000.

I intend to move to a Netgear mesh System.

Is there a cost effective way to upgrade my current system to mesh or should I go directly  to an Orbi system ?

Regards

Joao Barcia

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Mesh or Orbi

My personal option is to go directly to a true mesh system. Whenever people add more than a single wireless extender, it tends to cause more issue or they tend to have connections problems. True mesh systems like orbi are designed for more than a single access point (satellite) and they can dynamically change from star configurations to daisy chain configurations without issues. 
i used to use extenders and once I started going with a true mesh system, I haven't went back and won't. 

Message 2 of 5
jpgb
Tutor

Thanks

and the option of  keeping the Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router(R7000) and adding the Netgear Nighthawk X6 EX7700 Mesh Wi-Fi compared to an Orbi System

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

If you're only using a single extender, its not a bad option. Again, if you'll only need a single extender, you should be fine. Once you move past a single extender then I'd be looking at a fully mesh setup. I've never had the fortune of using the ex7700 but it seems like a decent extender. I know its around $160 on amazon. If you look on amazon for a renewed (aka refurbished) rbk43 kit, it isn't a whole lot more. 

Message 4 of 5
jpgb
Tutor

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements