× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk Mk62 new satellite unit? does it relay from the other satellite or only the main route

thesquale
Tutor

Nighthawk Mk62 new satellite unit? does it relay from the other satellite or only the main router ?

Hello all,

I purchased the MK62 pack end of last year. This comes with with the router unit MR60 and one satellite MS60. 

The current MS60 unit is about 12m in a straight line from the MR60. I now need to extend this further away (still straight line from the router) so i thought about buying another satellite MS60 that i would put about 15m from the initial MS60 and that would end up being about 27m from the MR60 router in a straight line.

Question :

Is the initial MS60 working as a relay (probably not the right technical term) for the wifi signal and bouncing it back to the new satellite that will broadcast it around it further? 

OR would the second satellite just try to connect to the router unit instead to get its signal?

?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Mk62 new satellite unit? does it relay from the other satellite or only the main route

My understanding of the nighthawk mesh (mr60/ms60) is that they support daisy chaining but only up to 2 hops. After that the signal/performans degrades to much.

You'd have better performance if you could centrally locate the router with the sallites on each side. 

Satellite<-----------router----------->satellite

Message 2 of 5
thesquale
Tutor

thank you @plemans !

i know but i can not do it for house logistics reasons.

router is at the entrance of the house, the first satellite in a straight line in the kitchen next to the garden window and i need the second satelite in the garden office, a further 12m away in straight line.

I did a test with my phone in the garden office today and the wifi signal coming from the satellite in the kitchen is there but weak. Netgear support tells me a second satellite in that garden office will boost the signal its getting from the first satellite...

somehow i am not sure...although i have pretty good line. 350Mbps.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

You can daisy chain them and it could improve your connection. 

tough to know 100% without actually trying it though

Message 4 of 5
thesquale
Tutor

@plemans thanks again

have ordered a satellite and will try. if not good enough, will send it back and use a the power plug.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7