× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R6700 - add access point

DavidSD
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6700 - add access point

I have issues with WiFi signal strength in my daughters room. I have tried extending the signal with a AC1200 extender but it did not help. Her laptop will only handle the 2.4 range. I was wondering about using either the Netgear AC1200 or her ARRIS SURFboard SBG6782-AC Cable Modem and AC1750 Wi-Fi Router as an access point to improve the 2.4 signal for her. Can I use either or both of thee devices as APs? If so, which would be better and how would I do it? I have an available LAN port on my R6700 so I can run an ethernet cable to her room. Or is there a better extender to use? Any help and guidance would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R6700 - add access point

You didn't specify your range extender's model.  Most Netgear range extenders can be used as an Access Point, except for a few models.

All routers can be used can be used as an Access Point as well.  The R6700 can be placed into AP Mode under ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP.  Follow the onscreen instructions.  They should be self-explanatory.

Message 2 of 5

As well as running a LAN cable, another, tidier, option is to get a Powerplug duo that will deliver wifi as well as LAN to her room.

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Maybe her laptop can also connect to the LAN port on the plug. That could be even better than the wifi.

Message 3 of 5
DavidSD
Aspirant

The extender model is Netgear EX6150. I would need the R6700 to be the router and EX6150 as the AP.

Message 4 of 5

@DavidSD wrote:

...EX6150 as the AP.

See page 14 of the manual.

EX6150 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation