× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 - Doesn't reach far enough; do I need a more powerful router, or add an Access Point

DGlennon
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 - Doesn't reach far enough; do I need a more powerful router, or add an Access Point

Just bought a Nighthawk R7000 to improve my WIFI signal, but it didn't work.  Not a super long distance (about 35'), but apparently too many walls in between the router location and the laptop location.  Not a heavy user of devices--just looking for a super fast signal (my hardwired computer averages 100mbps).  Will upgrading to a more powerful router solve my issue, or should I install an Access Point?  I have a direct ethernet connection to most of the rooms in my home, so hard-wiring a second device would be pretty straightforward.  If an Access Point is the answer, and suggestions on specific products would be appreciated.  I know nothing about them.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
netwrks
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000 - Doesn't reach far enough; do I need a more powerful router, or add an Access P

All an Acess Point does, is extend your LAN. You're in a great position if you have ethernet throughout your home.. If you have the $$$, pick up an EX7000, configure as Access Point. Or if you have an old router lying around, configure it as an Access Point. The best would be something with external antennae's like the R7000.

Message 2 of 6
DGlennon
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 - Doesn't reach far enough; do I need a more powerful router, or add an Access P

Thanks for the info.  What would be the advantage of getting the EX7000 over something like the EX6100?  I currently have one computer and one phone which use the wifi (might find new uses in the future though!). 

Message 3 of 6
netwrks
Master

The EX7000 is an AC1900 class extender / Access point, as is your R7000. I'm not a big fan of those little plug in devices. Thie nice thing about the EX700 (or any router for that matter in AP mode) is that you can use the LAN ports to connect other devices into, as your network grows. I guess, ultimately, it all depends on the budget.. 

Message 4 of 6
DGlennon
Aspirant

I took your recommendation and purchased the EX7000.  Got it set up, and it works--my WIFI speed throughout the house is now greatly improved.  One followup question:  I now have two different WIFI names.   The main router is NETGEAR##, and the Extender is NETGEAR##-EXT.  Any way to combine them into one name?  I had assumed this would have been done automatically, but maybe I missed a step.

Message 5 of 6
netwrks
Master

You can create the same SSID on both routers (I would get rid of the Netgear SSID's - they are just labels - if you create new ones, just get your phone to forget the old one and connect to the new one), however, if you are thinking of client roaming, remember, it is based on the clients, not all on the router / access point). Alot of clients like to stick to thier connected Access Points, until the signal fades to nothing.

You may, or, may not have success with the same SSID's. Ensure you change the default login passwords, and, create a strong wifi passphrase. Also, set different channels 1,6,or 11 for 2.4ghz, and higher numbers for 5ghz (do not leave wifi channels to auto).  If you don't need 2.4ghz, then disable the 2.4ghz radio on both router and Access Point.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7