× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7350 and AX8 combined onto one network issues

jmotes
Guide

Nighthawk R7350 and AX8 combined onto one network issues

I have a nighthawk R7350 in my house running my network and I purchased an AX8 a while ago and wanted it to continue to share on the same wifi network so I could travel from my house to my shop without changing networks on my phone or other devices. Netgear at the time went round and round with no resolve and I finally just made it 2 different networks. The issue with this is the r3750 reaches far enough to the shop to hang onto my phone or laptop but not strong enough to work. The AX8 is hardwired in my shop. 

Can someone please help me with meshing these two together so the ax8 is basically a repeater antenna, if that makes sense. 

Thanks in Advance!

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Have you tried turning down the broadcast power on the R7350?
you can set the ssid broadcast power so it doesn't reach as far. 

neither router is a mesh system so they don't "integrate" but if the power is lower enough the R7350 disconnects, it should auto-connect to the AX8

Message 2 of 10
jmotes
Guide

Bummer, ok well i guess i am looking for new stuff. I thought when i bought the ax8 that was an option.
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

What actual model do you have? AX8 isn't a model (neither is any of the AX**** speeds)

Message 4 of 10
jmotes
Guide

Eax80
Message 5 of 10
jmotes
Guide

If this one is not an option can you point me in the direction of a netgear that will work with my nighthawk r7350

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

so you're caught in a catch 22. 

the mesh extender line works great as a mesh device but only when in extender mode. In AP mode, the smart roaming features are disabled. 

And the R7350 isn't a mesh router. 

Even adding just a mesh router won't make the EAX80 work in mesh mode while hardwired in.

Options? 

1. stick with what you have but reduce the R7350's broadcast power. Devices will tend to be more likely to roam to the EAX80

2. sell both units and upgrade to a mesh system like the Orbi line or the MK nighthawk. Both of those lines support mesh with both a wired backhaul and wireless backhaul. 

Message 7 of 10
jmotes
Guide

Would an RBK50 setup be able to do as I need? My house is only 2000 sqft and then it would be hardwired to the satellite in my shop. 

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

the RBK50 setup does support wired and wireless backhaul. 

2000sq ft might be getting close to maxing out the system.

If you're planning on having hardwired backhauls, the RBK43 system tends to go on sale renewed for pretty cheap and when its hardwired in, has the same performance of the RBK50 as the only difference between the 2 is the wireless backhaul. 

Message 9 of 10
jmotes
Guide

Ok i just ordered a rbk43 ac2200 from amazon with router and 2 satellites. This should cover me I think. 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7