× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R8500 with EX8000

ronnymac32
Guide

Nighthawk R8500 with EX8000

I've been trying to learn about all of this new mesh stuff so pardon me if I repeat a question that I may have already read an answer to but didn't fully understand.

I live in a 2,700 sq ft house and have a Nighthawk X8. I'm setting up a smart home with wifi security cameras, lights, etc. By the end of the setup I expect to have roughly 50 devices using wifi. I also have neighbors surrounding me who all have their own wifi.

The end goal for me is to maximize my wifi signal/range and minimize interference. I'm sure I can't perfect this goal, but I'd just like to get closer to reaching it/make my situation better. I have already swapped to the least crowded channels in preparation for this.

Ultimately, I'd like to know your suggestions and thoughts, but this is what I've been thinking...

What I'd like to know is can I do a hardwired wifi extender using the same credentials essentially doing a wifi mesh system but without spending gobs of money on a whole new "mesh" system like Orbi and maximize my bandwidth by hardwiring it to the X8.

I appreciate any input or insights you may have.

I neglected to ask if this is also possible using another X8 or the new EX8000 and if there's any difference besides cost? Again, much thanks.

Message 1 of 3
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ronnymac32,

Yes, you can hard wire the WiFi extender to the X8 and use it as an access point with the same credentials.

Here are the differences on the setup options.

- Hard wiring the extender to the router may provide you with the challenge of having to run a long Ethernet cable to where you want the extender to be unless you have an Ethernet wall patch on that location that is connected to the router

- In access point mode, the EX8000 will have the option to broadcast 3 SSID's compared to 2 when using it in extender mode (other 5GHz band will be used for backhaul)

- In extender mode, you will have the flexibility of moving the extender to areas where running an Ethernet cable may be difficult

- Using another X8 in access point mode is pretty much the same as using the EX8000 in access point but you will have the option to use the X8 as a stand alone router should the need arise

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 3
ronnymac32
Guide

Thank you very much for the input Dexter, I think I'm going to go with another x8. I just have one last question about the x8. I see it's discontinued and exceptionally cheaper than routers like the x4s and x6s. Isn't the x8 still better? Am I missing something? Because when I look at the x8 I think "Netgears 2nd best router". Any inputs or opinions are appreciated. Thanks again.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7