× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Range Extender in my Personal Situation

Niz2425
Follower

Nighthawk Range Extender in my Personal Situation

Hello everyone. I am considering getting the NightHawk EX 7000 range extender and I’m trying to understand how it will help, as I’ve never had a range extending device before.

We have an internet speed of 250MBps from our internet provider, but it seems like the speed is only 60-70MBps at the spot where the router is (I know this is a cheap router issue). In my room on the other side of the house, I’m only getting a signal of 20-25MBps. If I were to plug the extender into an outlet in my room, will it only be able to provide the strength in the room, but at a longer range? Or is there a chance that the speed will increase, as if I were closer to the router? I’d prefer to have it in my room, since I have a desktop and the Ethernet port would be nice. But if I’m only going to get 25MBps from the extender it may not be worth it...
Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Range Extender in my Personal Situation

It's possible the range extender will connect at a higher speed than a phone or laptop will, since it usually does have a better antenna.

But normally you'd want to place the extender in between the router and the target coverage area, giving you solid connections both to the router and the clients.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series