× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Router and Orbi Outdoor extender

jrtfairman
Follower

Nighthawk Router and Orbi Outdoor extender

I have a fairly new - less than a year - Nighthawk AC1750 router.  Can I add an Orbi outdoor extender to it or do I need to purchase the entire orbi system?  If it can be done is it an easy setup?  I am trying to increase the signal in my detached garage which is about 50 feel from the house.  Our house and garage is masonary so that has always made signal an issue.

Thank you!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Router and Orbi Outdoor extender

you can add the orbi outdoor extender. it can function in either orbi (needs a orbi router) or extender mode (no orbi router). I've tried it in both modes and its pretty easy to setup and use. 

the concern is going to be that masonary. brick/masonary does an amazing job of blocking wifi signals. Before buying an extender, I'd just place your router by where you'd plan on putting the outdoors one and seeing if you get usable signals in the detached garage. I have a feeling that the masonary is going to do an excellent job of not allowing signal through. 

Do you have a electric line ran to your detached garage? if so, maybe you could use a powerline device to get internet out there. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7