× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Wi-Fi extender and Ring camera live view

Swindonpete
Guide

Nighthawk Wi-Fi extender and Ring camera live view

Hi I have a Ring camera and a Nighthawk extender but I can't get a live view on my Ring app although the Ring app shows the camera as connected with RSSI c-55 and the motion sensor lights trigger on motion and the Ring app alerts us to motion detected etc. Can anyone help me sort out how to fix the not able to show live view issue. I have a iPhone 11 with latest IOS and also a iPadPro again up,to date IOS. Any ideas ' help,appreciated please. Thanks in advance.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Wi-Fi extender and Ring camera live view

Does it work if you're directly connected to your router with the ring device?

Are any other devices having issues? 

Firmware on the extender? 

Did it work before with the extender? 

What router are you using? 

What method of instal for the extender did you use? the installation assistant or using WPS.

I'm just trying to figure out why you think the extender is the issue. 

Message 2 of 10
Swindonpete
Guide

Thanks for the quick reply. I will have a look at a couple of your points in the morning here (UK) and answer the others too. Thank you again. I’ll get back to you tomorrow.
Message 3 of 10
Swindonpete
Guide

Hi again, 

No other ring devices have any problems but are connected to my BT router. The camera in the garden got v poor signal and would not work so I bought the Netgear. I set it up not using WPS as advised by others when I looked into it. I connected my camera via Wi-Fi  (which I brought into the house) to my BT router this morning and live view works fine but it didn't when connected to the netgear? Is there a setting on th emerge are I need to change or? Thanks again for your help with this issue.

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

There's not a lot for changes to be made with it. 

What firmware version is on it?

during setup, did you click on the "extend 2.4ghz broadcast"? I'll attach what I mean. 

I usually don't use that so the extender only uses the 5ghz backhaul. This also lets you change the 2.4ghz channel the extender uses. maybe the one you're on has interference. 

So potentially rerun setup on the extender and leave the "extend 2.4ghz" unchecked. Again, it'll still use it, it just won't use it as a backhaul. 

Message 5 of 10
Swindonpete
Guide

Hi
Thanks for this. The firmware version shows as V1.0.0.210

The Ring only uses 2.4 I think? I did not enable the 5ghz channel. I did not see a “extend 2.4ghz” box to click? Does this I don’t understand what “backhaul” means (I’m sorry for my lack of experience) What should I do next do you think? Thanks again.
Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

@Swindonpete wrote:
Hi
Thanks for this. The firmware version shows as V1.0.0.210----Not the greatest version. I'd downgrade it to version 1.0.0.206. We've seen a few issues on the newer .210 version. 

The Ring only uses 2.4 I think? I did not enable the 5ghz channel. I did not see a “extend 2.4ghz” box to click?----You'd see it during setup. I re-ran the setup on my EX8000 to show you what you'd see during setup.  Does this I don’t understand what “backhaul” means (I’m sorry for my lack of experience)----The triband line of extenders have 2x 5ghz channels. 1 of those is just for backaul. What that means is its only used for a connection back to the router. And then the other 5ghz is just for devices to connect to. This allows faster communication and lower latencies than devices that have to go router---extender---device on a single band.  What should I do next do you think? Thanks again.

What I'd start with? downgrade the firwmare on it to the .206 version mentioned above and see how it works. If it works fine, awesome. If it doesn't, then I'd factory reset the extender and reinstall it. During the install, uncheck that 'enable 2.4ghz" connection. Again, you'll still be able to use 2.4ghz but it'll use the dedicated backhaul 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ex7700

Message 7 of 10
Swindonpete
Guide

Thanks for your very helpful advice. I've managed to do as you,have suggested and, as the moment, it's working - thank you. The "proof of the pudding" will be in c 48 hours time as when I first installed it worked too, but I'm very grateful for your help and quick responses to my plea for help. I'll update in a couple of days time for your information etc. Thanks again.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

Hope it stays working well for you!

Message 9 of 10
Me365
Aspirant

Hello @Swindonpete ,

I'm late in replying to your question . I hope you got it worked out. I spent 5 hours on the phone yesterday with Ring Tech support and they could not figure out why I couldn't get Live View to work. My installation was done by an electrical engineer, so I had to insist that it was not an installer error.

Ring Tech support knows my devices are connected to my Guest network, properly secured with a complex password, and isolated from my LAN and other devices.

We went over my firewall and router settings. At no time did they ask me whether Remote Administration of Firewall was enabled.

This morning, I inspected my router logs from the Admin console. I have many entries for Service Blocked: Remote Administration of Firewall.

I don't have this option enabled for security. I am reading about whether this can be enabled safely, internal/external IP addresses and ports to choose. I am also reading about the ports and protocols used by Ring Devices, and whether Port Forwarding is an option.

The Protocols and Ports Used by Ring Devices – Ring Help

According to this article from the SANS institute, Port 6970 is a port widely abused by trojans.

Port 6970 (tcp/udp) Attack Activity (sans.edu)

I just wanted to give you this information in case it might help you with your issue as well. This has been absolutely maddening!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7